300b power trannys ?

2nd harmonics for the masses

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:13 am

Ty, it'll use the same construction as my new Parks Audio Budgie, with a thick black and gold PCB used as a top plate on a 6x10x2 Hammond box with wood end panels. So it should be a super easy build that will attract folks that can't make their own chassis. I'll sell the kit as two PCBs. Anyhow, the circuit is almost exactly like the Clementine, but I plan to make the UL connection with feedback the standard circuit. With the high mu of the 12AX7 and the high gm of the UL'd EL84, we have plenty of gain for any preamp (especially devices like an iPod or smartphone) to drive the amp to clipping with a 500mV input (unlike my Clementine ULtra). So it's well suited for a dorm or office or whatever. Also plan to have a headphone jack using my 20/20 circuit and volume control. Iron with be all Edcor.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:31 am

Ah, I see. So it will be more towards the "full kit" end of the spectrum? Do you have plans to release just the empty board alone for those inclined to do all the rest themselves?
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:17 am

Ty_Bower wrote:Ah, I see. So it will be more towards the "full kit" end of the spectrum?

Don't worry, it'll be a one bare board or two bare board kit, so $39 or $78, just like the other diytube boards, but with the Parks Audio label. I may sell an occasional completed & calibrated amp in the future, or even a full kit, but I have no plans right now.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Don't worry, it'll be a one bare board...

Count me in for one!
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:44 pm

separks wrote:Anyhow, the circuit is almost exactly like the Clementine, but I plan to make the UL connection with feedback the standard circuit. With the high mu of the 12AX7 and the high gm of the UL'd EL84, we have plenty of gain for any preamp... Iron with be all Edcor.

So, in theory, if one had a drilled out Clementine board with chassis mounted noval sockets...

...and a handy 12AX7-to-octal socket adapter:

In theory, the whole thing shouldn't be that far from bench testing. Is there a suggested transformer complement yet? How about power and distortion measurements? :))
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby kku » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:59 pm

EL 84 SE amp? Count me in.
kku

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:In theory, the whole thing shouldn't be that far from bench testing. Is there a suggested transformer complement yet? How about power and distortion measurements? :))

Whoops - missed this reply, Ty. I'll try and up this info this weekend. Yes, I flying-wired nine pin sockets to a Clem board and have had it running a few months now. The main PCB is pretty well laid out. I just need to finish the top plate. It'll be 3.5W/channel at onset of clipping with a bass happy damping factor of 9.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:17 am

Ty_Bower wrote: Is there a suggested transformer complement yet?

Configured for the Edcor XPWR136-120 for PT and two Edcor GXSE10-8-5K as the outputs. I guess you can go ahead and order since the six week lead time corresponds with when I hope to have production boards. Planning to order prototype boards this week, though the prototype testing is basically already done. Beta testing, I guess. Mostly worried about everything fitting together on the first shot, as it is a *tight* fit.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Previous

Return to get*set*go