A pic of my GSG build.

2nd harmonics for the masses

A pic of my GSG build.

Postby badassbob » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Of course I had to make a poster out of it :))

...and my whole GSG-based system. EV 12TRXBs in Barzilay cabinets, Vortexbox music server, and a Peachtree Decco DAC/preamp. This is my best sounding system yet. Worked my way from solid state gear w/ Klipsch, to PP amps and Klipsch, full range drivers, and now Im addicted to larger coaxials.

badassbob

Postby 20to20 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Oooohhhh! Dat be georgeous! You really nailed the antique look. Congrats on that one!

Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby justinsweber » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:42 am

what weber rectifer did you use?
justinsweber

Postby badassbob » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:32 am

The WAX5 is a drop-in replacement for the 6AX5. I recently switched back to the 6AX5, as the Copper Cap seemed to be making the amp sound off. When I first switched to the Copper Cap, I didnt notice any difference in sound, and got pretty used to just leaving it there. Fast forward a year, and out of curiosity I decided to switch back to the 6AX5. Once I switched back, the sound was definitely fuller, the bass deeper, and I didnt need to turn the knob as far to attain the same volume. Upon disassembling the copper cap, I found the resistors pretty crispy looking, as well as the solder joint holding them together a little crispy looking. I dunno if I got a funky unit or what, but I dont plan on going back. FWIW, the 6AX5 thats in there now is the one that I ran in the amp for the year before I got the WAX5.
badassbob

Postby EWBrown » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Nice looking amp! Ilike the woodwork, on teh base.

When I was first experimenting with using 6AV5GAs in a GSG, I started with teh 6AX5 rectifier, and found that I needed a bit more B+ voltage, and current capability, so I started out with soldering UF4007s into an octal base. That made a bit too much B+ voltage, for my needs, so I then connected a 50 ohm, 5W WW resistor in series (on the anode end) with each of the 4007s, and that worked out very well, and later I translated that design in to another 6AV5GA build, which is one of my favorite DIY builds, with an amazingly good sound quality.

I used to have a set of the exact same Barzilay speaker cabs, with the same grilles. , and the center "console" which fit in between, and the wood grain was "matched" so that when they were properly arranged, the wood grain on the cabs and console tops was neatly matched up, and looked like one long continuous piece of wood. . Unfortunately they took some water damage, after having stood in about 1.5 inches of water in the finished off part of my cellar in NH, and I got rid of them before I moved south to NC Friend of mine took them, and he said he would try to repair them, though that may be a tall order. He has much better woodworking abilities than do I.

The manufacturing date for the Barzilay cabs was around 1967-68.

I had some 15 inch Altec Lansing 411A drivers in the cabs, and Altec 811A / 806-8A 800 Hz horns on the tops, and I built the crossover / divider units into the back panels of the cabs. It was a nice setup until they got "drowned" around March of 2001. The speakers survived OK, I later traded the 411s, and kept the horns and dividing units for my Karlsons, which are with me in NC presently.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to get*set*go