Slow Progress

2nd harmonics for the masses

Postby justinsweber » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 am

So ready for my tube depot shipment to get here.
New Tungsol 6SL7, NOS 6AX5 rect, New EH300Bs.
justinsweber

Its Alive!

Postby justinsweber » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:22 pm

justinsweber

Postby justinsweber » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:24 pm

So the 300b is here and Im amazed. I have a MC275 and a MA2275 both of which I love dearly. This is the nicest SET amp Ive heard. The amp has such control over my Cornscalas'. Seems to do everything right. This amp was a test really. I have a Tom McNally 6b4g and its wonderful... it used the XSE15watt, 5k, 8ohm. I have scoped that amp and it gets into the low 60hz... Not bad at all. My speakers go cleanly down to 43hz so I needed an amp that could dig deeper... and here we are.

This amp was to see if the CXSEs were worth it. The CXSE are masssssive 12lbs each and way toooo big... 25watts and 20hz to 20khz. I got say that these bad boy sounds like it does what it should. I will to a freq sweep this weekend. The Ecdor CXSE are the same price range as the James transformers... if you can accommodate the space and weight, you’ll get American made real iron that kills.

Im over the moon.

The system in the pic is the 2nd in the same room.
It is a homebuilt PAS3 line stage (Upgraded power supply), the DIYtube 300b, into homebuilt Cornwall clones... way better cabs and crossovers.

Its a true competitor to the 1st system... Its simpler and more romantic... but with more authority then you might expect for 5 watts :-).

System 1 is a McIntosh MA2275 (75watt integrated, into a Cornscala on steroids... 2" compression driver and very special horns.
justinsweber

Previous

Return to get*set*go