Best sounding 6B4G for GSG

2nd harmonics for the masses

Best sounding 6B4G for GSG

Postby kku » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:11 pm

I'm shopping for a pair of 6B4G and wondering which is the best sounding 6B4G. The single plate Sovtek or NOS American brands or NOS Winged C?

I searched online but cannot find much information.
Since here we probably have one of the largest group of 6B4G users, I figured this is the perfect place for asking this question.

I mean, I don't want to end up buying 2-3 pairs of them and comparing them since even the cheapest pair costs around $100 these days. I'd rather spend that money on better iron and better capacitors.

Or, should I just go with 300B's if better sound quality is desired?
kku

Postby Geek » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:19 pm

300B and 6B4 are two completely different animals.

6B4G is a 2A3 with 6V filament and octal base.

Fat chance ever fully nulling the hum on a 6B4 - DC filaments may be in order if you have sensitive speakers.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Geek wrote:Fat chance ever fully nulling the hum on a 6B4 - DC filaments may be in order if you have sensitive speakers.

My get*set*go prototype did use AC heaters. I figured with hum pots I could null'em good. But at best, I knocked them down to 3mV or 4mV - way too much for a SET amp which by definition needs sensitive speakers. I then switched to a Schottky bridge rectifier with a CRC filter to make the heaters DC. Worked great, and any residual hum got nulled with a fixed 47ohm-53ohm divider. It was easy at that point to increase the R in the CRC to plop a 300B in there.

The Sovtek 6B4Gs are nice tubes, kku. I think you would have to pay 2x for a decent 300B like the EH, so those would be my recommendation.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby kku » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:47 pm

I wonder if 300B sound better than 6B4G's, so that I can decide which version of GSG to build, 6B4G or 300B.

Speaking of hum, which version has lower hum level? 6B4 or 300B?

Shannon, the Sovtek pair is $129(unless someone knows of cheaper prices) and EH gold grid 300B pair $175 as of today, so I just decided to find out which type sounds better than the other kind, before ordering any. Other than higher wpc, does EH 300B sound even better than Sovtek 6B4G?

And the main question: Which 6B4G sounds best? Does NOS American 6B4G's sound even better than Sovtek?
kku

Postby Geek » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:36 pm

kku wrote:I wonder if 300B sound better than 6B4G's, so that I can decide which version of GSG to build, 6B4G or 300B.

IMO, no. I'll take a 6B4G over a 300B anyday. But again, this is subjective.

300B, simply because of the way they're designed.

And the main question: Which 6B4G sounds best? Does NOS American 6B4G's sound even better than Sovtek?

I've heard Ken-Rad and Sovtek and the answer is completely subjective - they are both good. You have to hear for yourself and decide.

Shannon - 3 or 4mV? That's awesome! Best I've got even with great built amps is 11mV.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:02 am

Geek wrote:Shannon - 3 or 4mV? That's awesome! Best I've got even with great built amps is 11mV.

FWIW, that's AC RMS at the output measured with my Boonton. And I think I really needed to have steady hand with my hum pot to get that. With the DC heaters I think we have about 0.5mV ripple.

The Clementine 1626 I just built may be the quietest amp I've ever done. I measured 0.3mV ripple. Obviously the lower gain helps accomplish this. When I switch to the CD input on my budgie, and crank it to max volume, I heard absolutely nothing on my 98db sensitive speakers. That's the first time I've experienced that!

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:09 am

kku wrote:I wonder if 300B sound better than 6B4G's, so that I can decide which version of GSG to build, 6B4G or 300B.

Shannon, the Sovtek pair is $129(unless someone knows of cheaper prices) and EH gold grid 300B pair $175 as of today, so I just decided to find out which type sounds better than the other kind, before ordering any. Other than higher wpc, does EH 300B sound even better than Sovtek 6B4G?

I'd almost recommend trying the 6C4Csor the some American old stock for $40 each shipped (current eBay rate). I don't think you can go wrong with any of these options. Just choose one that doesn't kill your pocketbook.

For a real budget variation of the GSG, look to the Clementine. There's lots of 6L6-type tubes for peanuts.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TerrySmith » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:43 am

The price of Sovtek 6B4G / 6A3 / 2A3 tubes have more than doubled! When I built my GSG four years ago, I paid $59.95 for a MP of Sovtek 6A3 tubes. 6A3 is identical to the 6B4G except the 4-pin base.

AES shows NOS 6A3 tubes for $45.80 and ESRC for $38.00.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby kku » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Finally got power back last night. Electric company men were awfully busy all week here in SE PA tri-county area trying to fix power lines after Irene.

I'm surprised to see everyone absolutely recommending 6B4 over 300B. I've never heard any of the DHT's yet but somehow I pictured that 300B are superior tubes(judging from the hype, I guess).

Where or how do 300B's fall short compared to 6B4G's?(in terms other than prices)
kku

Postby Geek » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:38 pm

kku wrote:I'm surprised to see everyone absolutely recommending 6B4 over 300B.

Why?

I've never heard any of the DHT's yet but somehow I pictured that 300B are superior tubes(judging from the hype, I guess).

Heh, I can pay a magazine writer to say the 6BE6 is the best tube in the world and people will follow it blindly (lol) ;)

Where or how do 300B's fall short compared to 6B4G's?(in terms other than prices)

As I said, they are different and really should not be compared.

Even within their own types, each brand has it's own characteristics.

Then again, circuit design can affect this all again.

What you really, really want to do is find a friend or stereo shop or something where you can hear both.

All that matters are your ears and your opinion ;)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby battradio » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:22 pm

Has anyone heard any differences in old Raytheon 6B4's with the doubble Plates like two 45's in one pacakge as opposed to the RCA style with the 2A3 style plates .

Have several NOS of each but haven't put them to use yet
Mark
battradio
KT88

Return to get*set*go