Where did my bass go?

2nd harmonics for the masses

Postby ficklecycler » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:04 pm

EWBrown wrote:http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvana.html

I haven't used or heard the Audio Nirvana Cast 8s, but if memory serves me correctly, they are supposed to be fairly similar in regards to SPL efficiency and freq response, as the 8 inch Fostex FE206Es, which are pretty decent performers in properly matched BLH enclosures, as are their smaller 6.5 inch relatives, FE166Es which I use in Madisound BLH 16 enclosures

Of course, some folks on another website have come up with a magical mystical sonic enhancement for the 6.5 inch FE166E speakers (see also the "Advanced Snake Oil" topic)

http://www.decware.com/newsite/DFR6.htm

Somehow, I just don't think that this technique would do ANYTHING at all to enhance the Cast 8s, in any way, form or fashion :/ :|

Yeah, me either. I don't think that people would be able to sell that crap if they were in a brick and mortar location. Just try imagining looking someone in the face and telling them that something like that makes "staggering" improvements. Facepalm!

So, what I decided to do was give the amp a little more time to run in. I figured after 30+hours of listening time that things would have settled down and burned in but apparently that was not the case. In the time since my last post the amp has really leveled out and it now sounds absolutely lovely. I genuinely appreciate you guys offering help and suggestions. It was actually a really educational experience measuring all the voltages and I'm glad that I sat down to do it without killing myself. My GSG is now on about 6-8 hours a day, sometimes more and its just fantastic.
ficklecycler

Postby ficklecycler » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:07 pm

separks wrote:I think at this juncture I would want to look at the tubes and also see if you could test it.

1) You're from San Francisco, so *you must* have a smartphone, right? Get a signal/function generator app and we'll test this baby out. Be sure the app can do 20Hz. You want to test with a 20Hz and 1kHz sine wave at 200mV.

Funny enough, I DON'T have a smartphone but nearly everyone else does! They're ruining the populations sense of direction and attention span one person at a time!
ficklecycler

Postby EWBrown » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 pm

I didn't even think of "burning in" issues, though I have had amps which sounded very good upon initial power up, and others which took a fairly
l-o-n-g time to burn in and sound good.

Mostly an issue of the interstage coupling caps, and the OPTs. Teflon caps take a L-O-N-G time to start sounding "right", they can be thin sounding , or even "screechy" at initial power up.

Funny enough, I DON'T have a smartphone but nearly everyone else does! They're ruining the populations sense of direction and attention span one person at a time!

In all too many cases, thosee "smart phones" have a lot more smarts than do the users. ;) (lol)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:05 am

ficklecycler wrote: It was actually a really educational experience measuring all the voltages and I'm glad that I sat down to do it without killing myself. My GSG is now on about 6-8 hours a day, sometimes more and its just fantastic.

Excellent! Indeed, I don't have a smartphone either. (phone) Probably because I'm too cheap for the extra monthly charges more than anything. :)) I did acquire a handheld function generator that I think I'll loan out in the future.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Previous

Return to get*set*go