Motor run caps for the Get Set Go

2nd harmonics for the masses

Motor run caps for the Get Set Go

Postby moonbird » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Hello all -

I am getting ready to order this board and build the Get*Set*Go amp. However, as I collect parts I am wondering if a Oil filled motor run type capacitor would be worth it for this amp. I have never used one before. From what I read the motor run cap should only be used as the 'last' capacitor in the power supply. This is the part that confuses me. Does this mean that the positive effects are only present for on the last PS tap - in this case for the preamp tube. Could such a cap be wired to the board without problems? Any suggestions you can offer w2ould be much appreciated. thx.
moonbird

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 pm

If you choose to use a motor run cap in your GetSetGo, it should be placed at C9, where the B+ is taken off for the finals. Be certain the cap is a motor run type, and not a motor start.

Oh, and welcome to diytube!
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby moonbird » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:56 pm

Ty --

Thanks for the reply. What is the benefit of using a motor run tube in your opinion? Is it worth the trouble (space)? thx again.
moonbird

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:43 pm

I think the motor runs are supposed to have a very low ESR, or something like that. I can't honestly say for myself - I've never used a motor run in one of my amps. I've read that modern electrolytic caps are actually rather good.

I'm sure someone else can add a comment or two about motor runs.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to get*set*go