Yet another Get Set Go - Now Completed

2nd harmonics for the masses

Yet another Get Set Go - Now Completed

Postby ashok » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm

I have had the GSG board for more than a year now, and finally got the parts together to build it. I will be using James 6112 OPTs (tctubes.com) and the PA774 (dynakitparts.com) as the PT.

Tubes are monoplate Sovtek 6B4Gs from ebay, new issue Tung Sol 6SL7GT and generic 6AX5.

The top plate was fabricated by Front Panel Express. Here are some pictures:

Instead of a chassis to hold the plate, planning to use wooden pillars with cones at the bottom.

Should be ready in a week.
Last edited by ashok on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashok

Postby TomMcNally » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:43 pm

Nice - you'll really like that FPE top plate, it will make
putting it together go really fast.

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

More progress

Postby ashok » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:52 am

PCB, final wiring to be done. My plan is to use four feet in the corners, like this:

But the top plate is bending ever so slightly. Either a brace running through the under side of the plate, or maybe switch to a conventional chassis.

Should probably move the power tube sockets to mount from underneath.

You are right, Tom. The top plate does make the assembly go very smoothly.
ashok

Postby nyazzip » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:26 am

just wondering, why are your "pillar" concepts pointed at the ends? mechanical vibration concerns...?
that top plate is very nice looking. i doubt a full/ traditional/rectilinear chassis would mitigate much more of the sag, but it would conceal your "fifth pillar" if you added one. i bet some bracing is in order for that iron; i would place it just between the power tranny and the PI tube.
i think even my stainless st-35 chassis could have used a center brace, and it has lighter iron. i was blaming the leaning power tubes on the sockets, but i think the top plate sags a little
nice ventilation with your design, anyway
i'm very interested in a GSG; i will be watching... (lol)
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby ashok » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:42 am

It is finished. I completed it about a month ago, here are some pictures:

I used a 1/4 inch aluminum flat underneath. Works really well at bracing the plate. Chassis to hold the plate is not complete yet. The plate will sink into the dowels, and there will be wooden cross-members running between them. But it will continue to have the open look. I like the look of the cones; did not have any concerns about vibrations.

The sound is quite good, I think. I have heard much about the immediacy of voices with SET amplifiers, but I must admit I have not had that experience with the GetSetGo yet. Maybe because my other amp is the Diytube ST-35 - I am running 6P14P-EVs in triode mode - Ok, not true SET, but really sweet sound.

I will be keeping the GetSetGo - it is a great amplifier. Thanks to Tom's FPE file, chassis work which is the hardest part for me, was a breeze.
ashok

Return to get*set*go