My G*S*G progress

2nd harmonics for the masses

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed May 20, 2009 12:53 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:I received the shipping notification from Edcor...

..and got them in the mail yesterday. Twelve pounds of iron for $118 - not a bad deal. The XPWR005 is one hefty transformer. I ought to post a photo of it next to a PA774. The GXSE15 aren't pretty enough to be mounted top side (open frame and all that) but they do appear to be really well constructed. They're very nicely taped and they have a nice thick coat of varnish over everything. I hope they sound as good as they appear to be built. They're pretty good sized things, too. I was hoping to use a 2.5" base for the chassis, but it won't be tall enough to fit the GXSE15.

Here's a pic of an XPWR005 next to a PA774:

Having the transformers in hand, I decided on my final chassis layout. I've printed my template, and if I can sneak an hour away from the kids maybe I'll do a little drilling tonight.

...got a little drilling done:
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed May 20, 2009 7:25 pm

A couple of "proof of concept photos". I'm happy with the way everything will be spaced out on the chassis.

Image Image
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Fri May 22, 2009 12:55 pm

I like those plumbers' tape tube sockets ;)

I just got my shipping notice from Edcor. The ETA, according to UPS, is on or about June 1st.

It will be intresting to compare the thre variations, XSE14-8-5Km GCSE15-8-5K and GXSE10-8-5K, in various applications. Maybe later on, I'll try out some of the GXPP series PP iron.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri May 22, 2009 5:47 pm

EWBrown wrote:I like those plumbers' tape tube sockets

I thought Teflon sockets were the best? The guy who sold them to me said so. They sure were expensive. Funny though, they don't quite seem to fit right. (???)
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri May 22, 2009 7:46 pm

I did the final drilling today, and some more dry fitting. It looks like there is more empty space than I expected. I guess everything will look tighter after the box frame is in place. Need to build that first, though. I'm also all out of #6 hardware, so I need to pick up some of that too. Here's tonight's photos.

Image Image Image
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Fri May 22, 2009 9:13 pm

Nice progress! Are you going to paint the aluminium plate? If not, you might want to clearcoat a couple of times to protect the sanded surface.

Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat May 23, 2009 4:28 am

This will be the third amp I've built using aluminum plate. I haven't really put anything in the way of finish on any of them. I probably ought to disassemble the others and take all three to the local powder coater.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:10 pm

I need to put a hole someplace in the wood to put the power cord. I also need to attach the filter choke somewhere, and install the RCA connectors. Then all that's left is the final wiring.

Image Image
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Roger P. » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Ty

What value K40Y coupling caps are you using?
Roger P.

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:49 pm

They're 0.22 uF, 1000 volt rated. I've read good things about them, but this is the first amp of my own where I'll try them for myself.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Roger P. » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Thank you for your reply. Please let us (me) know what they sound like. Have you got a stock one to compare against? I have just about got my st-35 parts collected and already huve the lust for more. I guess I am collecting information for the next one.
Roger P.

Postby Ty_Bower » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:43 pm

It goes. :))

Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Quad » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Looks great! How does it sound?
Quad
KT88

Postby Roger P. » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:46 am

It Goes. Love the humor. Like He said How is the sound? I also would like to know if ther is someone or some place that can cut a top plate?
Roger P.

Postby TomMcNally » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:31 am

Ty ! Congrats - looking good.

Roger -

Front Panel Express in Seattle does beautiful work.
Take a look at the one Shannon designed and I
modified a little at http://tmamps.com/gsg
The software is a free download, and you can order
online. There are a couple of files in the g*s*g section
of this website, you can use as-is or modify to your
hearts content. They are about $ 60 and 2 weeks
turn-around.

... tom

files here:
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1566
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour