Nichcon VZ series capacitors?

2nd harmonics for the masses

Nichcon VZ series capacitors?

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:59 pm

The bill of material for the GSG specifies several Nichicon VZ series caps. What is the thought process when selecting a particular kind of electrolytic capacitor? Are there any properties which are especially desirable? For instance, the PM series caps claim "extremely low impedance" and a 5000 hour load life. These sound like good things to me - are the PM caps a better choice than the VZ? Are there other cap series worth a look? Pricewise we're talking a few dimes either way, which isn't even a consideration when you're only buying two of the things.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:31 pm

The footprint is a key consideration, so just make sure the footprint and height work in your build. Otherwise a similar value can be subbed there with no problem. I like Nichicons and that series was easily available.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Ty_Bower » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:53 am

separks wrote:The footprint is a key consideration, so just make sure the footprint and height work in your build.

Hmm... the dimensions listed on Mouser don't always agree with what is shown on the Nichicon datasheets. I'd be disappointed if I bought a fistful of capacitors, only to find out they won't fit on the board. Maybe I'd better just stick with the standard BOM, since I assume others have ordered those exact parts and they fit.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:11 pm

The standard BOM parts should be good as gold. ;)
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Ty_Bower » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:33 pm

Just placed the order using all the standard parts off the BOM. Of course, my Edcor order is still 3~4 weeks out. Not that it matters - if history is any indication, it'll be half a year of me sitting on the parts before I manage to put them all together.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to get*set*go