"Euro" Get Set Go

2nd harmonics for the masses

"Euro" Get Set Go

Postby swelebny » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Hello folks, my first post and my first build from scratch. I've had a lot of fun refurbishing two old Magnavox units, and an old Heathkit AA-100. It was the little single-ended el-84 Maggie I put together for my Dad that had me look for another amp that would sound as pleasing. This has been very enjoyable, but all quite new.

I have a dear friend who is retiring to Europe (France to be exact) and I am considering putting together this first GSG for him. I am unsure as to how best address the power issue. I'm fishing for some good ideas that might work. Build it up as 115V, and use a convertor over there? Build it up as 230V, and use a convertor here? Somehow make it dual power?

Since this is all new to me, I don't know what it is I don't know. Any bright ideas?

Thanks!

Steve
swelebny

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Search hembrook's posts just a few posts down from this one. He is in Germany and ordered several Transcendar toroidal power supplies. I would probably go that route.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:46 am

I think those were Trafomatic (from Serbia) trannies, not Transcendar from California) ?

I'd go with a dual primary trannie, whether from Trafomatic or Hammond's 300 series.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:13 am

I was tired when I posted that. Thanks for the correction, Ed. I knew it started with a T-R-A. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:47 am

Don't worry, I scramble letters and numbers all the time... Something about the memory being the second thing to go bad, now if I could only remember what was the first... :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09

Reminds me of an old joke:

Did you ever hear the one about the insomniac agnostic dyslexic, who lay awake all night long, pondering the existence of dog?

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby swelebny » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Hey, I resemble that remark.....

Thanks guys.

Steve
swelebny

Contact Boris at Trafomatic, ask for the "Hembrook Spec

Postby hembrook » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:58 pm

You get a toroidal power tranny and 2 output trannies (2.5k with 4 and 8 ohm taps) for small money and the rock. The toroidal power tranny comes with a spare 6.3V power wiring, I'll post pics soon of how I handle that. You could cap it off with wire nuts if needed, but why not use it?

It is then trivial to use a DPDT switch on the back (I would crib one out of a computer power supply, that way you get marking and everything, dead PSs litter the ground) and then he can fire it up on 110V (as can you for testing!) and then once in Europe switch the switch and you are good to go.

If you use an IEC power port, then you even get the advantage of being able to swap power cables. Nifty.

Boris told me that the next batch of transformers is planned to ship from Serbia to New York by the end of March (March 24-28, 2008).

In order to ensure timely shipping all orders need to be processed by February 20th.

I don't think you can go wrong. We have a 300B up already and are getting ready to put up a 6A5G/6B4G soon as I can finish metalworking the diamond plate top plate for the amp, then build the wooden box...
hembrook

Return to get*set*go