Vintage amp conversion

2nd harmonics for the masses

Vintage amp conversion

Postby terrydaniel » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:23 am

I have recently acquired a push pull 6B4G mono amplifier. It's using a 6J5 driver into a 6SL7 phase splitter. The B+ supply is on a separate chassis, and consists of a 120 VA transformer, 5U4G rectifier, and a CLCLC filter. The 6B4Gs are almost unused, KENRAD JAN. My plan, generally, is to convert this amp into a stereo SET. Hopefully, only a couple of OTs (I have a few tubes/parts already :) and chassis/PCB. This amp, though it works quite well, is very old, and looks it. I MIGHT could cram a couple of sockets on the existing chassis, but I sure wouldn't want to solder it up. Also, it's just plain ugly.

Search as I might, I can find no schematic for the get*set*go amplifier, nor can I find any detail info for the PCB. Any help on this, or on the suitability of my amp for conversion would be appreciated. I'm trying to determine what I can use from this amp or my stash in order to estimate costs.
terrydaniel

Postby TomMcNally » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:56 am

Hi Terry -

The complete manual with schematic is posted in
this forum - the second message from the top.

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1566

Boards are available by emailing Shannon Parks ( $ 49)
(separks at diytube.com)

Personally, I'd hate to see an antique amplifier chopped
up ... plus, you might have a Public Address (PA) amp
that wasn't made for "hi-fi" and might not sound all
that good. Hi Fidelity as a hobby and commercial amps
didn't come along until the 50's, and I don't think anyone
was using the 6B4G at that time. You might want to
get the amp working and see how it sounds before you
get into it too far.

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby terrydaniel » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:55 pm

The amp is working. Just had a couple of electros and the 5U4 to replace. I hooked it up with a PP 6BM8 for the other channel and switched my preamp to mono to A/B it. Actually, it sounds great! Blows the 6BM8 away. It's not a PA, it was obviously a homebrew. Over-engineered to the max. Lots and lots of UTC iron. But you want to talk ugly? I can show you ugly! And it's mono, and it's PP, and it's not very well assembled. You simply would not believe the soldering practices (or rather, lack thereof).

The thing is, I recently got introduced to "mid-end" SET sound, and I like it! I got this (at a good price) specifically to use the PSU (which is on a separate chassis) as is, and for the tubes.
terrydaniel

Postby terrydaniel » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Forgot to mention in my last post. I may be blind, but I see no link to a schematic in the referenced post.
terrydaniel

Postby terrydaniel » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:02 pm

Oops... Strike that... Thanx.
terrydaniel

Return to get*set*go