I have a problem! (Don't we all?!)

2nd harmonics for the masses

Postby 77seriesIII » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:14 pm

I'm currently using the trafo tranny and opts with a 300B SS rectifier in lieu of the 6ax5 and it doesnt get hot, warm but definitely not hot. I'm using an older wine crate...paid 55$ for the contents, the box came free! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 oh BTW I live in Germany and Boris knew that, the tranny came already wired for 220!

I am looking a JE Labs 300b and will probably use the Trafomatic company again.

Erick
77seriesIII

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:55 am

TerrySmith wrote:Seems like the supply of 6P14P's is drying up, you gotta look really hard to find them any more.

But didn't everyone stockpile when the going was good? :) I'm sure I have a lifetime supply from Gintaras. But hey, the crusty old RCA 7189s and the Mullards are still rocking along after all these years of abuse. I even picked up a Mullard EL84 for $1 at the last hamfest. It was in an assorted box of tubes. Yeah!
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:08 am

Between Gary Kaufman and myself, we have enough 6P14Ps and 6P14P-EVs to last well into the 22nd centyury... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

We independently both followed the "get 'em while the getting is good" philosophy. The day of the $2 EL84 is probably long over now, between the principles of supply and demand and the falling dollar to euro / ruble ratio. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_13

Hh has had a lot better luck finding the NOS goodies at good prices than I have, I was always wondering where all the NOS 6L6GCs and 6550s had disappeared to... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

(right now, I'm am "working on" a local former TV and radio repair shop owner, who claims to have a "ton" of tubes in his shed)

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:03 am

EWBrown wrote:(right now, I'm am "working on" a local former TV and radio repair shop owner, who claims to have a "ton" of tubes in his shed)

Ed, is this the same guy you've been working on for a while? :)
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:28 am

No, this is a new one, the other one didn't pan out...

My 30 year old fridge crapped out just before Christmas, so I went to the local "appliance" shop, and the owner and his SIL delivered it a couple hours later.

He saw some of my tube amps, and said that he still had most of his "inventory" from his days of TV and radio repair. He said to wait until the warmer weather, as everything is in a cold shed, and he has to move a lot of cr@p to get to them...

This won't be a "freebie deal" like the great plinker haul, as he does seem to have some basic idea of the tubes' worth from scoping around on e-bay, etc.

/ed
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Previous

Return to get*set*go