SDS-PAGE GSG-300B hybrid

2nd harmonics for the masses

SDS-PAGE GSG-300B hybrid

Postby ecir38 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:19 am

Just wanted to say hello and thanks to WA4SWJ for posting a link at the diyaudio forum that directed me here. What a nice find, I started reading about the G*S*G amp but have since explored other areas and have found some great reading, thanks. It’s always nice when a manufacture has a forum with the support for their DIY kits. This is something that I look for and have enjoyed with some kits I have built at www.hagtech.com

Anyway I’ll get on to the reason why I started this thread. I am the new proud owner of the GSG-300B hybrid that SDS-PAGE recently sold. I would have loved to have built my own but figured I couldn’t go wrong with this since it was of the same variant I was considering. When I put together a BOM I was looking at a pretty close to the same number that he was asking since I only had a couple of the parts needed in my bin.

Ok, here is my situation. This amp was put together with the OPT only having an 8 ohm tap. I have a pair of 4 and 8 ohm set of speakers I would like to try with this amp, both are pretty efficient so I shouldn’t have any problems there. When bringing this up to SDS he stated that I can still try the 4 ohm speakers with the amp, this would lower the primary impedance of the OPTs and get more output. I am new to tube amp designs so prior to this I was considering replacing the OPTs with ones that have a 4 and 8 ohm tap and include an extra set of binding post.

Hoping some of the experts here could help explain the affect and difference of the two.
ecir38

Postby SDS-PAGE » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:17 pm

If you're determined on swapping the OPTs with ones with 4 or 16 ohms taps, you could give James irons a try. Or, you could always get 15W version of those Transcendars. They have multiple secondayr taps.
I would still recommend doing some listening test with the current setup. I sold one of my Darling amps to a guy who's using 4 ohms Kipsch speakers with 8 ohms taps and he's pretty happy with it. -Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby ecir38 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:37 am

I am not really set on changing and will use the amp as you suggest. I just wasn't sure if one way would benefit over the other. As long as the amp can handle the 4ohm load on the 8ohm tap, I guess this should be no sweat for the Transcendars.
ecir38

Return to get*set*go