C4S in GSG

2nd harmonics for the masses

C4S in GSG

Postby lth1 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:44 pm

I have several Bottlehead C4S boards and was considering using one on the 6LS7 in the GSG. Is this doable and what improvements would be expected. I remember Shannon experimented with a C4S circuit in one of his amps but do not recall any feedback.

On a different note, the GSG is sounding very good right now. I have not received the copper cap rectifiers (they have not been built yet) and am using a GE 6AX5GT. The GE's sound alot better than the original RCA rectifiers that I had, I can definitely live with the GE rectifier. Anyone tried tube rolling the 6AX5's and found a difference in the sound quality?
lth1

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:48 am

Glad you are finally breaking it in, Lee. I did experiment with a IXYS CCS in the GSG, but the results were a wash, ie no improvement with a lot more complexity. A CCS really trumps a plate resistor in a higher current situation and the 6SL7 just doesn't need much current to stay linear.

I only have <one> 6AX5GT rectifier. Indeed, it is a GE one. I've misused and abused it, and it keeps coming back for more. Good to know, and I'll stock up.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TerrySmith » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:50 am

I'm now using a GE 6AX5 that looks like a 5AR4 on the inside. I have several of them, but some look like the usual 6AX5.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Return to get*set*go