get*set*go Finished

2nd harmonics for the masses

get*set*go Finished

Postby WA4SWJ » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:42 pm

Hi Guys,

Just finished my get*set*go amp today and have been listening to it. Another home run for Shannon! It's a fantastic amp. I'm amazed at the bass and the crystal top end. It's a well balanced amp overall. I'm really happy with it. It has essentially no hum at all - barely, barely audible with my ear right in the speakers.

I built mine like Terry's with a black Hammond chassis. The worst part is doing all the metal work. Once I got that done it didn't take long to hook up the PC board and fire it up.

I have new Sovtek 6B4G's in mine (but I do have some old Sylvania 6B4G's that I'll try later). They have the great blue glow at the top of the envelope and it dances around when music is playing like some old 6L6's I used to have in an old Silvertone guitar amp years and years ago. Quite cool indeed! I'm sure this amp will be used quite a lot.

I'm driving some speakers specially designed by John Krutke of Zaph Audio fame that I built. They use high end Scan Speak drivers and the combination of the get*set*go and these speakers is just amazing.

I should be able to post some pictures in the next couple of days.

Shannon - thanks! And I'm curious if you've ever hooked a get*set*go up to your distortion analysis equipment. If you posted it I missed it.

Hope you guys are having a great, vacuum-tube-filled weekend!

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby TerrySmith » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:47 pm

Yes, we gotta have pictures! I'm listening to my GSG as I type this, and yes, I find the bass strong. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06

Drilling and punching the chassis easier for me because the output tubes are off the board, only two tube holes to line up.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby WA4SWJ » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:44 pm

Hey Terry,

Here's an initial photo. It's not a good one but it will give you and idea of what it looks like. The little hole in the front is for a volume control - I need to get to Radio Shack and get some of their Alps dual pots. Hopefully my local shop will have some.

Here's a shot of the speakers I use. I've built two sets of John Krutke's speakers so far and they are fantastic speakers. He's an excellent speaker designer. www.zaphaudio.com These speakers are piano black and the white stripe is a reflection of the wall in the background.

Again, thanks for so much fun guys!

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby WA4SWJ » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:49 pm

Here is a shot of the other set I built. These are John's L-18's. Check them out on his site. They are fabulous speakers too. Cost about $600 in parts and a lot of free labor from me!

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Re: get*set*go Finished

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:49 am

WA4SWJ wrote:Shannon - thanks! And I'm curious if you've ever hooked a get*set*go up to your distortion analysis equipment. If you posted it I missed it.

Thanks, Ed. I really love the GSG - it is a really cool amp, if I'm allowed to say that. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09

I have oodles of distortion data. I needed the Boonton for all levels of the design, eg finding the optimum 6SL7 P-P swing and linearity. I'll try to add some to the manual and I'll post when it is up. Since this is no feedback with high 2H distortion, it requires a new way of looking at the data. The GSG was designed to get at least 3W before the 5%THD point. While doing some testing last weekend, I think the 10%THD mark may be a useful guage, too. But it wasn't for a stock GSG.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to get*set*go