nineno's build journal

2nd harmonics for the masses

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:52 am

Who's your supplier for the Neutrik RCA connectors? Pretty slick looking.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby nineno » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:13 am

separks wrote:Who's your supplier for the Neutrik RCA connectors? Pretty slick looking.

I used Full Compass Systems (www.fullcompass.com) for the RCA's. I've used them on a couple homebrew amps and I used hundreds of them at work. They use the same mounting cup for RCAs, BNCs, TNCs, etc, etc, etc. Unlike the Canare RCAs you can get non-50/75 Ohm jacks and the Neutrik stuff uses a common size for a lot of their connectors.

There are also 7 or 8 color choices for the insulators.

drew*
nineno

Postby nineno » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:31 pm

I finally have a few new pictures to post of my amplifier. The minimal progress that I've made over the course of the past several months has been incremental: Every few weeks I'd do a little something, but never enough to report on. Now I've actually assembled a few more parts and my amp is mostly complete.

Top-Down 3/4 View:
Here's a shot that shows the relative layout of the major components, the flush fasteners and RCA panel jacks.

Out Back:
A view from behind. The whole chassis is a little dirty in this picture. Oops!

I'm positive it connects to the negative:
I finally began to wire some of the components. I tried to use some of Morgan Jones' techniques from his book "Building Valve Amplifiers" but my chassis layout didn't accommodate his `ideal' wire routing. Any suggestions on changes to improve wire routing?

Profiling:
Finally! Sides added to the amplifier as well as the tubes. The silver button on the wooden side is the power toggle. The amp doesn't have a power indicator.

Front & Center:
The amp turned out nearly like I envisioned. Perhaps I should have staggered the power tubes in a little to show off those fancy looking OPTs a little bit. In fact, the whole amp could be a little narrower I guess.

Back, Again:
Another view from behind. I meant to plug in the power cord (blue jack) and speaker wires (black jack). Next time...

Bottoms Up!:
Last but not least, a view under the hood. I know it's sorta small, but if any of you guys have suggestions on re-routing wires or anything else, please let me know.

The G*S*G has been one of my favorite amps to build. If I had been more diligent about keeping up with it I probably could have cranked the finished product out in a few weeks rather than 2/3 of a year, but it was a lot of fun, as always.

Let me know if you have any suggestions of questions. Thanks guys!
nineno

Previous

Return to get*set*go