Get set Go

2nd harmonics for the masses

Get set Go

Postby leadtower » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:53 pm

So Shannon should we start ordering parts from the BOM and place orders for the PCB's next week?
leadtower

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:57 am

Hi Leadtower,

I'd wait another couple weeks. Basically, I'll post everything in an official 'Manual & Mods' post when it's ready. It is such a fun and sweet sounding amp, Tom and I have been working to fine tune everything (mostly hardware at this point).
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

GSG Amp

Postby leadtower » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:10 am

Thanks Shannon; I looked through a lot of my parts and voila'; I have already a lot of what I need. How often do we get that lucky? It's like you looked through my parts bins and said," Hey; this will work and that will work.!"
leadtower

Re: GSG Amp

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:25 am

leadtower wrote:It's like you looked through my parts bins and said," Hey; this will work and that will work.!"

I'm pretty sneaky. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

6A3 instead of 6B4G

Postby lth1 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Shannon I assume that one could use the 6A3 in place of the 6B4G. I have 6A3's in my stash no 6B4G's.

Lee
lth1

Re: 6A3 instead of 6B4G

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:16 pm

lth1 wrote:Shannon I assume that one could use the 6A3 in place of the 6B4G. I have 6A3's in my stash no 6B4G's.

Sure thing!
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:24 am

Shannon I assume that one could use the 6A3 in place of the 6B4G. I have 6A3's in my stash no 6B4G's.

6A3 is basically a 6B4G with a four pin base. Otherwise the operating characrteristics are virtually identical. Ditto for 2A3, just 2.5V @ 2.5A for each filament. These would probably be "happier" Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 with AC filament voltage.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

MagneQuest vs James OP Xfmers

Postby lth1 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:35 pm

I have been putting together parts for the Get Set Go. Have access to a pair of MagneQuest TFK-204, anyone have an opinion on this OP Transformer vs the James 6113HS/6115 and or its use in the Get Set Go?

Cordially,
Lee Hankins
lth1

Postby Dmason » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:00 pm

I am sure either one would make for an astounding presentation. From what I have read, the non "boutique" runs by MQ use a lower grade of steel than the Taiwanese ones, whose standard series offer M3 grade, and which also are potted.

My only experience with MQ Tx were the ones for the Bottlehead SEX amp upgrade. While it made for a more resolving amp, with better low end response, believe it or not, to my ears, in my home, on my speakers, I was more inclined to the inexpensive Speco autoformers that came with the basic amp, which was built by Clark Blumenstein of Cain&Cain, for the late Terry Cain, as a gift to me. I would however bet that the DSO-250 would sound fantastic as well. DHT amps are only as good as their output capabilities, and power supply. I would say get the MQ, because you have access to them, good ol' made in Philly transformers. As for the James units, I have never heard anything but praise, that they are the real deal.
Dmason

Postby EWBrown » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:22 am

I also did the "SEX" amp upgrade, and have the spare 30H BH chokes and speco OPTs, which will eventually end up in some new project like a parallel feed 1626 Darling amp, or perhaps a PF version of Gary Kaufman's direct coupled 6EM7 amp. For $3 line trannies, those little SPECOs are truly amazing. Too bad they can't handle the DC voltages and currents, I had speculated about their use as super-cheap UL OPTs, as the various "wattage" taps worked out pretty darn close to the usual UL tap turns ratios.

The first run of the first dozen 2A3 ParamourII iron upgrade kits have the nickel striped OPT cores, and I couldn't resist that, even though I don't yet have PIIs to put them in, I may soon go for a set of them... My employer recently gave out a nice little "profit sharing" bonus that will just cover a set of PIIs...

Other than that, the "fancy" iron would be super-spiffy with the Get*Set* Go amp... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01

Turns out that the PII and the G*S*G aren't all THAT much different in general parameters. The PII monoblocks uses Parallel Feed and has C4S plate loads for the VA driver 12AT7, and use 2A3s, but the B+ voltages, 2A3 plate current, and plate loading impedances etc are pretty close to those for the G*S*G.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to get*set*go