New DIYTube SET 6B4G Amplifier !

2nd harmonics for the masses

Postby Geek » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:09 pm

Did someone mention 6AH4GT schematics? :)

I wish, I wish, I WISH they put out more than a watt. They absolutely pwn every tube I have heard for sonics.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:43 pm

Now, let's see..... 6AH4GT with B+ around 270VDC, cathode resistor 820 ohms, run around 30-32 mA, 5K OPT, series feed or parallel feed, and an EF184 driver, Sounds like it could be a contender...

Interestingly, I run my 6EM7s / 13EM7s around similar operating points with very good results. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03
I've tried them with higher B+ with lower plate current, and lower b+ with higher current, and approx 270V, 38 mA and 820 ohms plays right. Best is when V P-K is 230VDC. That is their "sweet spot"...

Think of a 6EM7 as being somewhat similar to half of a 6SL7 and a "downsized" 2A3 or 6B4G sharing the same jug.

6DN7 is another good one, though it's a bit more "persnickity" to make it play well, with its higher rp. It likes at least 8K primary, even 10K is good with this one. That is almost a half-6SN7 and a 45 in the same bottle. FWIW, it has been stated over at Bottlehead, that all 6DN7s sound the same, (these are used in the Bottlehead SEX amp and some earlier designs), and I now wonder if that also applies to 6FJ7s...

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi Ed,

EWBrown wrote:Interestingly, I run my 6EM7s / 13EM7s around similar operating points with very good results. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

I have a MiniBlok and a MiniBlok-II here that use those. Very smooth tubes indeed :)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Previous

Return to get*set*go