standby switch

2nd harmonics for the masses

standby switch

Postby paskwalito » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:04 am

Hi everyone

this is an old topic but hopefully one of you will come across it ;)

I'm already the happy owner of a GSG amp (which has been running almost every day in my office for 10 years (banana) ).

Just a quick question:
On my tube amps, I usually delay the high voltage (90 seconds) by placing a Standby switch on the rectifier heater .
Apart from cutting the PCB track from terminal block J3 to pin 7 of V2, is there any other way to do this ?

Thanks
paskwalito

Re: standby switch

Postby Quad » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:13 am

It's been working fine for 10 years - if it ain't broke....

If you are using the 6AX5-GT rectifier tube, then it is a indirectly heated rectifier and gives you a slow warm up already.

J3 supplies B+ to the output transformers - I don't see it is connected to Pin 7 of V2.
Quad
KT88

Re: standby switch

Postby paskwalito » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:25 pm

Thanks for your reply Quad

Indeed, this amp has been working fine for 10 years (no flames or smoke ;) ) but at home, my power tubes always last longer with a high-voltage delay of about 60/90 seconds, and the NOS 6B4Gs have seen their price soar last years.
To extend their lifespan would be a good idea :))

6AX5GT (heater-cathode type) do have a slow warm-up but only a few seconds (checked with my multimeter...) and I always avoid hot-switching of "hard vacuum rectifier" like 5U4G, GZ34, 5Y3 or 6AX5...
That's why I wanted to make this small modification.

It seemed to me that pins 1 and 2 of J3 had their PCB tracks going to the 6AX5 heater (6.3V RA/6.3V RB on the schematic).
But maybe I'm wrong: I'll check tomorrow.
paskwalito

Return to get*set*go