Oscilloscope basic tube amp tests.

arcane secrets and handshakes revealed!

Oscilloscope basic tube amp tests.

Postby coop402 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:38 am

I have a Tek 2215 60 Mhz scope that I picked up for $100.
I have managed to collect the matching CFG250 2 Mhz Function Generator for $40, and the CFC200 100 Mhz Frequency counter for $40. I have a cheap audio signal generator that seems to do the trick. I also have a nice fluke multimeter. Lots of other misc.

It has taken me a while to come up with this stuff, but I feel like I have everthing I need to properly test tube amps that I build, which has been my latest passion.

I have built about 4 amps now. I use my scope to look at the B+ and to take care of any problems with that. I can test simple things like preamp tube output while driving the amp with the audio signal generator.

Here is my problem......
I would like to find an faq on the full realm of tests to confirm both maximum output wattage and to test output at different frequencies.

All my amps sound good, but I want to make sure they sound their best. You know how it goes, when amps start piling up, you have to sell some in order to afford to make others. I want the person who gets these amps to be thrilled about their performance. I would like to provide some visual data. I assume that a dummy load is probably put acrossed the speaker output, that a signal is supplied and compared to the output....

I really need a step by step using the tools I have to verify and possibly debug my tube amps.

You folks seen any FAQs like that?
coop402

Postby coop402 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:48 pm

How about any really good books on the subject?
My amps sound good, but I would like to know that they test
well, too.

Jim
coop402

Scope use

Postby msmpe » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:35 pm

Crowhurst wrote a book on testing amps if my memory is working correctly. Now where did I see that book? There it is! AES has a re-print for $12.35. Such a deal for 232 pages on "techniques...determining the quality and performance level of almost any piece of audio equipment." ;)
8>) Mike

If there's no sound in a vacuum, where'd the music come from?
msmpe
KT88

Postby cda » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:24 pm

IMO 'Audio Equipment Tests' by (legendary) UK writer Gordon J. King is the one to get.
Each test consists of a list of equipment, connections, method and how to interpret the result.
Excellent.
cda

Postby sliberty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:04 am

sliberty

Return to test & measurement