Square waves?

arcane secrets and handshakes revealed!

Square waves?

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:17 am

I read a short article written by Jack Elliano of Electra-Print. I haven't fully absorbed all of the article, but I think it essentially questions the usefulness of square wave response testing as a measure of output transformer performance. Here's the article:

http://electra-print.com/techblog.php?blogid=5

I think what Jack is saying makes sense, but I'm still waiting for it all to sink into my brain. Any comments? I often see people injecting square waves into their amplifiers and remarking on the duration and magnitude of ringing that is observed.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby WA4SWJ » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Ty,

This will fry your brain!

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/output-tr ... ec-08.html

This is a pretty good explanation of the basics of transformers. While they are fairly simple devices in many ways, they are also complex when you delve deeply into them and analyze them in full theoretical detail. I've always viewed transformer design as a sort of black art.

As for testing amplifiers with square waves, I think that does give you some idea of the stability of the overall circuit design. You don't want the amp to ring endlessly when excited by a square wave. That indicates stability problems that can cause failed tubes and other noxious effects. Square waves can be useful in that regard. Testing transformers with them may be less effective as Jack suggests.

There is a lot of very good info on Mr. Turner's Web site if you haven't seen it.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Re: Square waves?

Postby E55l » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:16 am

I think if i can't make a good transformer with good sq response i would have say the same as Jack.
Turner is more realistic, and i think any really good transformer has good frequency response with good square waves, otherwise the technitions didn't do there job right.

Ty_Bower wrote:I read a short article written by Jack Elliano of Electra-Print. I haven't fully absorbed all of the article, but I think it essentially questions the usefulness of square wave response testing as a measure of output transformer performance. Here's the article:

http://electra-print.com/techblog.php?blogid=5

I think what Jack is saying makes sense, but I'm still waiting for it all to sink into my brain. Any comments? I often see people injecting square waves into their amplifiers and remarking on the duration and magnitude of ringing that is observed.
E55l

Return to test & measurement