signal generator

arcane secrets and handshakes revealed!

signal generator

Postby K-MAN » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:01 am

I'm doing some troubleshooting on my amp and I got myself a oscilloscope but I need a steady 1kHz signal. Does anyone know of a place I can download a audio file of one for free? Oh and what wattage do I need for the 8ohm load resistors on a SCA35?
K-MAN

Postby Geek » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:04 am

Hi,

There is a tone generator plugin for WinAmp. Haven't used it in years (I use Linux) but it worked pretty good.

Waveform quality will suck compared to a good function generator, but will help you troubleshoot.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:54 am

K-Man, forgive if I'm stating the obvious, but many scopes have a small test bar on the front with a 1kHz, 5V square wave for calibrating the scope. Dunno its output impedance, though, and you would need to attenuate.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TestGuru » Mon May 05, 2008 12:09 am

There are quite a few sound card based free or shareware programs that can generate various test tones. For example, the one at:
http://www.multi-instrument.com. It can generate sine, swept sine, white noise, pink noise, MLS, etc..
TestGuru

Postby cartoonweirdo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:41 pm

Not to be too low budget about this, but aren't you going to be playing something through your amp? How about testing with program material?
An I-pod ought to be a worst case scenario.
cartoonweirdo

Postby Blackburn Audio » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:54 pm

I've got a 1kHz sine WAV file that is about 45 seconds long, if you want it PM me and I'll set up a link for you to download it.

-Matt
Blackburn Audio

Postby erichayes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:14 am

If you have a DMM that's capable of measuring capacitance, you have a 1Kc sine wave oscillator available at the input jacks. Just connect the 'scope to the DMM and set the latter to capacitance. The sine wave might not be pristine, but it should be good enough for hobbyist purposes. After you've established this connection, it's just a matter of inserting your amp, preamp or whatever between the DMM and 'scope.

Bon ch?nce.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:19 am

erichayes wrote:If you have a DMM that's capable of measuring capacitance, you have a 1Kc sine wave oscillator available at the input jacks. Just connect the 'scope to the DMM and set the latter to capacitance. The sine wave might not be pristine, but it should be good enough for hobbyist purposes. After you've established this connection, it's just a matter of inserting your amp, preamp or whatever between the DMM and 'scope.

Bon ch?nce.

I'm going to check out all the DMMs in the lab today. Cool idea!

BTW, Eric please email me your current shipping address. I need to get your TAL1773 back to you. LTPs all the way.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby erichayes » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:53 am

Hi Shannon,

If you haven't already shipped the 1773, PM Ty for his address and ship it to him, if you would.

BTW, my PP address is the one you have for correspondence ( hayeseric@sbcglobal.net)

Thanks
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Return to test & measurement