Bug List

arcane secrets and handshakes revealed!

Bug List

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:33 pm

Add your bugs here, with code version and a brief description of the error mechanism.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

notes on the Boonton control software

Postby 1audio » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:01 pm

I have been looking for a solution like this for a long time. I don't have the patience or time to program myself so I can't be happier to have found this. however a few comments are in order. The following are not software bugs but application issues:
1) first measurement settling, the first measurement usually seems to be way off, probably due to a settling time issue. This is a common issue with most automated measurements. (Even described by NIST). The fix is to make and discard the first measurement and repeat it.
2) Control of the balanced/single-ended connections. It should be at least under software control. I often am checking balanced amps, and concequently blowing the internal fuses if I overlook the selection. Also the best berformance is available when only one (input or output) is grounded.
3) Filter control. Measuring ultra low distortion requires the low pass filters (and sometimes the high pass filters). Having this on the control panel would help a lot. And limiting the frequecy range of the test is also important.
4) Setting the test limits for output and frequency. Its possible to fry many amps by driving them beyound their limits (I consider this bad design but explaining to someone that his amp needs $$$ work because it can't handle 100KHz at full power isn't fun).

Again, thanks for a very useful piece of software.
1audio

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:36 am

Thanks for the feedback! I will look into these design issues.

BTW, 1audio, are you using a NI GPIB or the Prologix unit? Just curious.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Boonton software

Postby 1audio » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:23 am

I'm using an NI PCMCIA GPIB and its working pretty well.

One other wierd bug- when Iinitialize the 1120 with the NI software I get an error message ERROR 22 indicating an invalid command, which gos away when I push a button on the 1120. It seems I need to run the NI software to enable the communications to the card.

Also I just realized that there are no power sweeps, but there is a hidden power sweep in the THD and the power finder routine. Perhaps you can provide for setting the frequency and record the power vs. THD as it sweeps to the preset limit?

And the SN test only needs to be run at one frequency since the number will essentially trach the response curve of the DUT. But this is where switching the filters is important.

I wrote up some notes on my experiences with the Boontons but I made a mistake and somehow lot it all. I will redraft it and send it in the next few days.
-Demian
1audio

One more thing

Postby 1audio » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:10 am

How do I change the default setting for the device address? It doesn't remember the address. This unit is at 15. But I have 4 other Boontons, all will have different addresses.
-Demian
1audio

Re: One more thing

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:19 pm

1audio wrote:How do I change the default setting for the device address? It doesn't remember the address. This unit is at 15. But I have 4 other Boontons, all will have different addresses.
-Demian

Change the Boonton's GPIB address in the text box "Boonton Address". The GPIB controller address is changed via the "NI GPIB Address" text box.

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby 1audio » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:01 pm

I must have been unclear. The problem is that it forgets the setting when the program is restarted. Should it remember the setting?
-Demian
1audio

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:57 am

1audio wrote:I must have been unclear. The problem is that it forgets the setting when the program is restarted. Should it remember the setting?
-Demian

Hi Demian,

Your feedback has been very helpful, many thanks. Correct - right now, none of the settings are being saved. This is indeed a feature I want to add. Instead of writing to the registry or an ini file, I'll probably end up using a save state feature like a lot of test gear does.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to test & measurement