diytube Poseidon driver

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

diytube Poseidon driver

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:32 am

Cleaning up 'round here. The links in this original post have been moved to the top announcement. The rest of the thread remains intact.

Shannon
Last edited by Shannon Parks on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Are these available to order?

Postby gogzhad » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:24 pm

Are these new boards? Are they available? Sorry if I'm asking the obvious; haven't been following the forum lately.
tu be or not tu be
gogzhad

Postby WA4SWJ » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:18 am

Shannon,

Looks good! I'm ready for some boards when you have some. I already have one set of Dynaclone Mark III transformers from Triode and three of the chassis copies. Now I have to get the other parts.

One question - has this design been tweaked like the ST-70?

Another exciting project(s) to build!

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

poseidon boards

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:30 am

Mornin' Gentlemen,

The production run is coming very soon. I've had the first small batch of boards a while now, and am sending out a pair to a couple MKIII and MKIV owners for final input. Over the last month, I have been doing a flurry of testing on all the amps: my ST70, the Ikes, and a pair of real nice Dyna MKIII's from my buddy Francois. The ST70 and MKIII's are fairly similar, but have their differences. It will be more evident when I post the Mark IV parts list and BOM (as the line items will match up). I had intended to post the Ike info before this, but the manual is getting pretty big and is a serious edit job - may have to post a quickie post on the parts list changes.

I left one of the test Mark III's stock and just did comparison testing this past weekend. I'm very pleased with the results. For example, both stability and low power distortion are better in the Poseidon driver versus the stock 6AN8 circuit. The higher frequency performance versus distortion also seems better. I'll try and cram it in the manual.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby WA4SWJ » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:05 am

Shannon,

You're gonna hate me but I found some errors on the BOM:

282-6.8K should be 282-6.8K-RC
71-N65D-F-150K should be 71-N65D-F-100K
31VF01 probably should be 31VA401 (but there are a lot of selections)

I'm ordering stuff now. Will let you know if I find other problems.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

inclusive parts list for MKIII

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:05 pm

WA4SWJ wrote:Shannon,

You're gonna hate me but I found some errors on the BOM:

On the contrary, Ed, thanks for pointing these out.

WA4SWJ wrote:282-6.8K should be 282-6.8K-RC
71-N65D-F-150K should be 71-N65D-F-100K
31VF01 probably should be 31VA401 (but there are a lot of selections)

I'm ordering stuff now. Will let you know if I find other problems.

- Yes, I need to add -RC to all the Xicon resistors on all the parts lists - the Pb free changes.
- The 100K resistor is actually now on page one and is R16.
- The 10K pot should be 31VF401 (knurled).

A few items might still omitted, I think, like the rubber grommet and screws/nuts.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Trident Power

Postby EWBrown » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:32 am

Very interesting.... I'm in (somewhat delayed) process of assembling a single MKIII clone with absolutely no original Dyna perts. I have one of the Uncle Ned driver boards, but I think I'll like this one better. It has Uncle Ned iron and an e-bay new build chassis, and C CHong PSU board.

The intended purpose for this 3Clone amp is for the "point one" sub amp in an all-tube home theater setup, or as an instrument power amp.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby WA4SWJ » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:56 pm

Shannon,

I ordered a bunch of parts today - not only for this project but to make further mods my eiclones (feedback and CCS LTP) and to convert my ST-35 to fixed bias. However, I was wondering if the poseidon boards were going to come in as that beautiful maroon color like the ST-70 boards. I think the ST-70 board is beautiful on top of that chrome chassis I have.

Have a great weekend!
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Ike Mods and Solder Mask

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:02 pm

WA4SWJ wrote:...further mods my eiclones (feedback and CCS LTP) and to convert my ST-35 to fixed bias. However, I was wondering if the poseidon boards were going to come in as that beautiful maroon color like the ST-70 boards. I think the ST-70 board is beautiful on top of that chrome chassis I have.

Hi Ed,

Hold off on those Ike mods until I post the new updated info. I meant to do it first, but the manual is quite an edit job! Don't worry - I plan to order plenty of extra parts for my Ike users so you won't need to do another Mouser order. It'll be posted first thing next week.

The Poseidon boards will be red. These green ones are protos.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby WA4SWJ » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:03 pm

Yippee!!! Glad the boards will be red.

I bought all kinds of parts for a lot of projects so I can wait a bit on the eiclones. I have plenty to work on. Modifying the ST-35 for fixed bias will be fun. I just want to play with that some.

Looking forward to new docs.

BTW - I have Adobe InDesign and I edit The AMSAT Journal so if you need help with docs I can help out, although the ones you have look great. I can do tables, photo processing and that kind of stuff. I'll send a pdf for your info separately.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

sockets

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:39 am

Just got an email from Ned and he said that he didn't think the octal Beltron chassis sockets on the list would work. I'll look at this tonight.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby WA4SWJ » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:10 am

Oh boy, I've ordered some of those already. But I have others I can use if those don't work.

Looking forward to the boards. I'm ready to build one!!

Have a great day.
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:50 am

WA4SWJ wrote:Oh boy, I've ordered some of those already. But I have others I can use if those don't work.

Looking forward to the boards. I'm ready to build one!!

Have a great day.

Ed,

Don't worry if they don't fit, as I'll swap you some of mine which will.

I meant to order the Poseidons this week, but a stupid cold has slowed me down enough that I won't order until next week.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby WA4SWJ » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:54 am

Shannon,

I can confirm that the sockets in the poseidon BOM don't fit the Mark III chassis, at least the copies I have. The phenolic portion is just a bit too large in diameter to fit through the holes. I do have one of those large stepped drill bits so I'm just going to drill mine out a bit. I'll have to put a bit of paint on the ID to help prevent rust on the now unplated portion of the ID. Should look fine with a little black touch up paint. Those are very nice sockets though. I can send the socket dimensions if you'd like to have them.

Any news on the eiclone changes? Looking forward to those recommended changes. Mine have the Dynaclone transformers. They sound fabulous and I still have not made the feedback change with the 2K resistor for R8. Maybe I'll do that this week. Never enough time to do everything plus I'm too busy listening to them.

On another note, I'm finally progressing on my 832 amp. It's looking good so far. I'll post that in the DIY list here when I get it done. It will be a couple of weeks yet but I do have most of the parts mounted now and ready to wire.

Hope you're over that cold by now! Looking forward to the poseidon boards. BTW - curious why you named it that. Maybe you saw the movie re-make lately? :) I've got almost all the parts to build the first one now so I'm really looking forward to it.

All the best,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:49 am

WA4SWJ wrote:I can confirm that the sockets in the poseidon BOM don't fit the Mark III chassis, at least the copies I have. The phenolic portion is just a bit too large in diameter to fit through the holes. I do have one of those large stepped drill bits so I'm just going to drill mine out a bit.

Hi Ed,

Don't waste your time. Please email me and I'll swap you with mine, not a prob at all. I see what happened, though. The customary and metric measurements don't match up. The website says 28mm, which is what the normal ones are. I should have gone with the other measurement. :o

WA4SWJ wrote:Any news on the eiclone changes? Looking forward to those recommended changes. Mine have the Dynaclone transformers. They sound fabulous and I still have not made the feedback change with the 2K resistor for R8. Maybe I'll do that this week. Never enough time to do everything plus I'm too busy listening to them.

Posted a cheat sheet in the Ike forums. That will have to suffice until I get the manual redone. Should work fine with your Dynaclones. BTW, thanks for your manual offer! I may take that up.

WA4SWJ wrote:BTW - curious why you named it that. Maybe you saw the movie re-make lately? :) I've got almost all the parts to build the first one now so I'm really looking forward to it.

The boards were ordered last week. Didn't see the remake info until very recently and that's too bad. But anyhow, being the God of Earthquakes was the clincher. These Poseidon amps are meant to rumble the walls and knock things of the shelf. ;)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Next

Return to poseidon