Poseidon V VTA

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Poseidon V VTA

Postby MontanaWay » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:53 am

Hi,

new to this forum, not new to tubes.
I currently run a VTA ST70 (Tubes4HiFi), with Gold Lion KT66's, 12BH7's for each driver and a 12AU7A-TAD as the input tube, this setup sounds great to my ears.
Also building an SP9 preamp with a PH10 phono amp in a custom chassis (wish I knew about this site earlier), I am sure this preamp will do just fine as well.
Once that is done, I'll be building a tube EQ based on the old Blonder-Tongue, but in stereo, with some slight mods, also in a custom chassis.

I know this is a subjective question, but I would still like to know peoples opinions and experiences.
I am also looking at two Dynaco MKIII mono blocks down the track. How does the poseidon MKIII driver compare to the VTA MKIII unit. Does one have any particular advantages over the other?
Opinions and experiences would be appreciated, thank you.
MontanaWay

Re: Poseidon V VTA

Postby MontanaWay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:59 pm

anybody??...surely there must be some opinions out there?
MontanaWay

Postby battradio » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:27 pm

The Poseidon has the proper filtering to smooth out the resonances in the output transformers , and the VTA doesn't .

Have not heard the VTA but like the Poseidon's , that i have put into 2 pair of MarkIII's ,
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby WA4SWJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:56 am

Hi,

I have 5 poseidon drivers in 3 Mark III clone amplifiers and 2 in separate monoblock amplifiers. The Mark III clones are used in my home theater (L-C-R channels). The two rear channels are eiclones. I have not heard VTA's but my poseidons are fantastic. One of the Mark III clone amps is shown in the avatar by this message. The driver sounds great and easily drives KT-88's to full output. Sorry I can't help with the VTA, but I don't think you can go wrong with the poseidon driver. It's hard for me to describe what I hear and I don't know all those flowery words that audio reviewers use, but mine are crystal clear, powerful, have amazing bass and will drive you out of the room volume wise without any kind of audible distortion.

Hope this helps some.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby MontanaWay » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:06 am

thanks guys, good info.
I am really happy with the VTA in my ST70, amp sounds amazing.
But I like to try different things, so for my up and coming MKIII project, I think I might give poseidon a go!
MontanaWay

Postby pmarcin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:22 am

Or build an Eiclone, if Shannon has any...
pmarcin

Return to poseidon