Going Balanced?

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Going Balanced?

Postby kt88pppamp » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Here is a concept unit I have that is fully balanced. It uses 2 6SN7 stages cascaded and a PPP output stage. The feedback is taken from the 8 ohm tap for one phase and the common for the other.

If this how feedback is implemented in a balanced design? Do you recommend I use a cathode follower for the second stage? I get more swing in the simulation if one is used. Any other comments?

kt88pppamp
KT88

Postby Wiesiek Lipowski » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:51 am

If it is something new, why don't you have it patented (before sb else does it?

It's very interesting IMHO.
Wiesiek Lipowski

Postby kt88pppamp » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:00 am

Its not new.
kt88pppamp
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:37 am

Hi,

This is an Allen Wright design, IIRC.

A cathode follower isn't really needed here since you're running AB1 and drawing no grid current (wich the coupling cap would block anyway).

With no input transformer though, you will have no isolation and mediocre CMRR, which is what balanced is famous for and its greatest strength.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby kt88pppamp » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:37 am

http://www.sacthailand.com/AmpNewGlowMasterKT88.html

If you see this picture on this website, I am doing something along those lines.

How will using two gain stages instead of a phase splitter (the signal coming in is already split) not provide good CMRR without a transformer? I thought a design like this is fully balanced innately and transformers are used when the design is not truly balanced.
kt88pppamp
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi,

kt88seamp wrote:How will using two gain stages instead of a phase splitter (the signal coming in is already split) not provide good CMRR without a transformer?

The nature of the beast!

At best, a design like this can provide when tweaked perfect, 60dB of CMRR and in reality, probably 40dB. Even a $10 Edcor WSM can give you 100dB.

I studied active vs. passive balanced inputs in detail before taking on a tonne of commissions demanding balanced inputs. I had been up to eight tubes (practcally an op-amp) before I was at 70dB CMRR.

The invention of active balanced was on wide bandwidth oscilloscopes. HP was hitting 100MHz before the rest were breaking 5MHz. CMRR was not that big of an issue, since the deflection plates were insensitive to common-mode signals. But we did get some bang-up balanced amplification techniques out of their research and the above circuit is a greatly simplified version of it.

I thought a design like this is fully balanced innately and transformers are used when the design is not truly balanced.

If that were true, Bogen and other PA equipment and studio broadcast mixing panels wouldn't have transformers in them ;)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:13 pm

Broadcast consoles haven't had transformers on the input or about
for about 25 years. Opamp circuitry on the input and output
has been perfected.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Geek » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi Tom,

TomMcNally wrote:Broadcast consoles haven't had transformers on the input or about
for about 25 years. Opamp circuitry on the input and output
has been perfected.

It should be noted that these are instrumentation op-amps, not regular ones.

I repaired a Tascam a couple years back for a party rental company that had a pile of little Sowter-like donuts in their line-inputs. So some models must still have them.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:42 pm

You said "broadcast" ... Tascam is cheap stuff with single ended
power supplies in most of their stuff, so no good balanced opamps.

Transformers come in handy now and then, I have some here and
there at the dozen or so radio stations I'm involved with, but actually
none are in the on-air audio chain. They are mostly used as a
quick way to convert an unbalanced input to take a balanced
feed without any issues. I hate unbalanced stuff in that environment.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Geek » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:10 am

TomMcNally wrote:...Tascam is cheap stuff with single ended power supplies in most of their stuff...

Actually, that's what was gone in the one I repaired ;)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby kt88pppamp » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:31 pm

As far as the balanced idea goes, I am revisiting this idea, and will probably use it as a revision for my current KT88 PPP amplifier. The main points are to:

- Have the preamp on my computer desk and the power amps off somewhere else, aka long XLR wires.

- Fully balance everything from my turntable, to microphones, to my preamps, etc and have the signals not touch ground.

My main question is how do you apply global negative feedback to my new driver stage? The output stage is the same and the driver is just a phase splitter with a 12AX7 tube and cathode followers.

Driver:

Output Stage:

-Ice cream is irresistible.

-Spaghetti and salt is irinductable.

-Artichokes are ircapacitable.
kt88pppamp
KT88

Re: Going Balanced?

Postby kt88pppamp » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 pm

I am doodling actively with balanced technology. I am making a preamp and later a power amp. I am using Edcor transformers. I will unveil the schematics as son as I get them working.
-Ice cream is irresistible.

-Spaghetti and salt is irinductable.

-Artichokes are ircapacitable.
kt88pppamp
KT88

Return to poseidon