Mediocre sound from my Poseidon's ??

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Mediocre sound from my Poseidon's ??

Postby crispycircuit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:44 am

After seeing Terry Smith's Eiclones/Mk3s and reading his comments I was reminded of my not so great Poseidon amps. I've had them for a year and tried different tubes and checked the voltages etc. They are the most bland amps in my collection. Rolled off top, rolled off bottom, no body, no imaging, just like an old Dyna 70 you find with worn out tubes. So my only conclusion after a year of trying to get good sound is the output xmers are not up to specs. What is everyone's experience with these amps? I need some honest answers. .... Thx
crispycircuit

Postby EWBrown » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:26 pm

What kind of OPTs are you using?

/ed
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby TomMcNally » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:07 pm

I rebuilt a pair of old Dynaco MK-III's with the Triode driver board about 10 years ago ... and they never sounded that great. When I built a pair of Poseidons a few years ago, which sounded GREAT ... I revisited the MK-IIIs and discovered I had the phase reversed on the feedback. A few wire flips and they sounded great. They had an odd high frequency oscillation that you couldn't hear, but it sure messed up what you could hear.

You might want to check yours out.

See the note in the ST-70 manual about this.

http://www.diytube.com/st70/diytube_st70_B.pdf

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby crispycircuit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:48 pm

I'm using old original Mk3's outputs and power. I bought bits and pieces to assemble the Poseidons so I never heard the outputs before. If I can figure out how to post pics, I willl. ..... Tom, your info is interesting. I never put them on my scope and both amps sound the same. I'll take a look at the wiring. I put the amps on the shelf 6 months ago. Terry Smith caused all this trouble he posted those lovely amps. Well mine look lovely......
crispycircuit

Postby TerrySmith » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:43 pm

If you used Dale resistors check each one with a meter, they are very easy to mix up, trust me- I KNOW!

When I had the Poseidon circuit and EL34's in them, I still had earth-shaking bass.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby TerrySmith » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:07 pm

What kind of preamp you using? I've got my MK-3's hooked up to the Aikido with a 5814- 6GU7 tube combo, seems to be a prefect match.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby crispycircuit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Most the time I go CD direct to amps (they have volume controls) but I have tried PAS & Scott preamps. I like preamps with tone controls. I mostly use Paradigm Titan's but have AR-11s, Boston A200s, Audio Nirvana 8" full range, several mini speakers. Like most of you, I do a fair amount of repairs and get to try out different gear. It also helps propel this habit. My Poseidons were suposed to kick my ARs into gear. I'll get them off the shelf and try everyones suggestions and see if we get anything happening?..... Terry the trouble maker, can you send those lovely Eclones to me??
crispycircuit

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:08 am

Interesting - see my new thread.

--Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to poseidon