Transformer options?

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Transformer options?

Postby Wmacky » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:00 pm

What are my options for upgraded output transformers for this project? I'm hoping for something that would be a drop in replacement, or with minimal value tweeks to the board. Looks like I missed out on the HF-89 clones Eric had a while back. Are this availible through his winder, or elsewhere? Are there better options with Modern Q specs? Also. is there any reason to upgrade the Power tranny?
Wmacky

Postby Wmacky » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:37 pm

Still looking?
Wmacky

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:38 am

The reproduction power and output transformers are a good choice for a new Mark III build, but I don't think they would qualify as an upgrade.
http://store.triodestore.com/mk3trbuwfrch.html

The stock P782 power transformer does get very hot during use, but I see no reason to replace it.

If you must have some kind of exotic output transformer, I'd suggest contacting someone like Electraprint and see if they can custom wind something for you. I've also heard good things about the power and bandwidth capabilities of the Plitron outputs, but never tried them myself.

In what way do you feel the A431 is lacking?
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Wmacky » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:32 pm

My research suggest that the Mark3 OT are a good value, and sound good, but are not Great. I was looking for Great OT's what ever that means. (???)

Let me back up!

After building a very nice ST70 using Shannons board, I'm ready to build a truely GREAT set of mono blocks. Having poor luck finding the hand holding I need to do this I thought about loosely basing them on the Mark 3 as a guide, but with everything upgraded such as the Posiden driver, SDS PS or better? and better OT /PT all in larger custom cases.

Perhaps this is not the best route to take with the proformace level I want, but this path worked wonderfully with the ST 70 build.

Is there perhaps a better way to acheive "World Class" for a semi newbie? Moving up past the upgrade routine seems to require massive engineering and mathmatical skills.
Wmacky

Return to poseidon