Mark III project, help and advice needed

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Postby Rex Everything » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:52 am

One last thing before I have finished these amps.

Where is the wire on the "C" terminal on the Poseidon board going to?
Rex Everything

Postby Ty_Bower » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:28 pm

C terminal goes to ground. On mine, I ran a long wire from C all the way around the amp to the three-lug strip near the power transformer. I tied the wire from C onto the center lug of the strip, which is grounded to the chassis of the amp. I think there are a couple other grounds tied here as well, including the center tap of the PT secondary and the ground lead from the OPT.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Rex Everything » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:15 pm

The Mark III's are complete and singing.

Thanks to Ty and all others that helped with this project.

Special thanks to Battradio for coming over and showing me the correct way to test voltages and bias the amps.
Rex Everything

Postby Rex Everything » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:49 am

Is it normal for the power transformer to run hot on these amps?
Rex Everything

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:15 pm

Yes. Mk3 power transformer runs very hot. It might even be the "can't keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds" kind of hot.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Rex Everything » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:24 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:Yes. Mk3 power transformer runs very hot. It might even be the "can't keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds" kind of hot.

That's exactlly the kinda hot it is :)
Rex Everything

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:51 pm

Here's a fun hot transformer thread. There's a Mark III reference in there, too. Shannon writes he has heard of Mark III reaching 170 deg F. Ouch!

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=352
Ty_Bower
KT88

Previous

Return to poseidon