Firing up Poseidon without driver tubes

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Postby Blair » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:16 am

I see,

I do not typically get up and swict things while I am listening anyway, so it should not be a concern. Thanks for all your help!

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby Blair » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:46 pm

EWBrown wrote:FWIW, both VTL (Vacuum Tube Logic) and Manley use this same mode-switching process on many of their PP amps, from the 45/25 watt "tiny triode" monoblocks, to their massive 600 and 1200 watt monsters.

They heartily recommend that the mode switches NOT be flipped while the am is poqwered up.

/ed B

Here is what I did Ed:

The switch is very close to the rear tubes, so it is probably sufficient to deter switching at my house.

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:06 am

Looks good! The main idea is to deter curious onlookers, compulsive tweekers and litle kids from playing with the switches. As they say, out of sight, out of mind... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

Speaking of dealing with compulsive button pushers and switch flippers, I remember when my uncle , back in the 1970s, made up a cast metal bud box, with a big red, "tempting" industrial "mushroom" cap push button, and the box contained a battery, an SCR, a relay , a buzzer and a couple of lights.

The pushbutton was boldly labelled "Push to Test" and after the "sucker" did so, the buzzer would sound, and the light labelled "Release to Detonate" would illuminate.
:o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Blair » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:29 am

LOL Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

There is an idea. I could just build one of those and set it up in front of all my gear. That way they get the surprise first and leave the rest alone.

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:42 am

And with todays very loud piezoelectric "screamers" it could have a real effect on the "victim" Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Previous

Return to poseidon