Sensitivity of MKIII Poseidon boards

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Sensitivity of MKIII Poseidon boards

Postby Prima Negev » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:13 am

This may have been asked before but I did a search and did not find the answer - are the Poseidon boards sensitive enough (produce enough gain) to be used with a passive preamp?
Prima Negev

Re: Sensitivity of MKIII Poseidon boards

Postby hilldweller » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Prima Negev wrote:This may have been asked before but I did a search and did not find the answer - are the Poseidon boards sensitive enough (produce enough gain) to be used with a passive preamp?

NO! You will need some gain to appreciate the power output the amps are capable of. It will however work with a passive preamp but with less power output. The MK IIIs are for those who wan,t the power output they are capable of. If you are into low power output and have sensitive speakers, you should be ok.
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Thanks!

Postby Prima Negev » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks for the answer but I am really seeking the actual sensitivity of the MKIII with this driver board installed. I know the VTA board is far more sensitive (perhaps a bit too much). I seek a figure such as 1 volt to drive the amp to full output etc. I am using a passive pre but it is transformer based and has 6 db gain.
Prima Negev

Return to poseidon