MKIII PS Upgrade

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

MKIII PS Upgrade

Postby SDS-PAGE » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:21 pm

I slowly warming to the idea of upgrading my MKIII monoblocks with Poseidon boards. I might also just build the whole thing on a bigger chassis while I am at it. One of the things that I wanted to do was to make the PS more robust. I never like the PS of MKIIIs. I really like Heathkit monoblocks for that reason.
So, my question is: would it hurt to put in a bigger choke to use with the SDS cap board? If not, how big of a choke would be appropriate? Thanks in advance. -Min
Last edited by SDS-PAGE on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

MK III PS Upgrade

Postby hilldweller » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:13 pm

I use the poseidon board and the sds cap board and all I can say is WOW! I am so very happy with the results that I will offer these Mods to my clients. As for the choke, 10 henry max but it is rather big and not needed IMHO. Try the poseidon board and the sds cap board before doing anything else and see if you like. I think you will. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_12
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:33 pm

What did you like the most about the Poseidon + SDS cap board combo in terms of sound. How' it w/ Weber SS copper cap? Bass good? I am pretty happy with ones that I restored with all stock specs for most part, but I want to try something else for fun. Besides, I don't get such good square waves on the 'scope. Well, it could be a lot of things. Plus, 6AN8s are somewhat mediocre for audio use IMO.
Great job on your MKIIIs, BTW!
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby hilldweller » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:42 pm

SDS-PAGE wrote:What did you like the most about the Poseidon + SDS cap board combo in terms of sound. Bass good? I am pretty happy with ones that I restored with all stock specs for most part, but I want to try something else for fun. Great job on your MKIIIs, BTW!

I most liked the full range sound! Nothing missing or inadequate!!! Definately more bass but only when it is called for. I use a preamp with no bass, treble, or balance controls because it is simply not needed in my setup. You will really notice the bass reserve when you play the movie soundtrack from The Fast and The Furious Movies or a quality LP of Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon, Ect! Maybee some Hip Hop if your into that. I am not!!! The best performance is with Classic Jazz or Classical Music!!!
hilldweller
KT88

Postby hilldweller » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:43 pm

SDS-PAGE wrote:What did you like the most about the Poseidon + SDS cap board combo in terms of sound. How' it w/ Weber SS copper cap? Bass good? I am pretty happy with ones that I restored with all stock specs for most part, but I want to try something else for fun. Besides, I don't get such good square waves on the 'scope. Well, it could be a lot of things. Plus, 6AN8s are somewhat mediocre for audio use IMO.
Great job on your MKIIIs, BTW!

BTW I went with the JJ tube rectifiers. The weber copper caps made my trannys get too hot!
hilldweller
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:38 pm

Maybee some Hip Hop if your into that. I am not!!! The best performance is with Classic Jazz or Classical Music!!!

I listen mostly to jazz/blues/swing and classic music exclusively on my SET amps, epecially my JE Labs Simple 2A3 amp. Once in a while, I would crank up some classic rock and that's when the monoblocks are called for. Love listening to Heart (none of their lames stuff later like how Chicago did it).
Don't own any Hip Hop music. Even though I have comtemporary didgeridoo music that has Hip Hop beats. This is off topic, but if you know how to circualr breathe 'cos you know how to play the didge, you can number yourself amongst 4% of world's population that knows how (Kenny G's one of 'em). Also, you're much less likely to die from sleep apnea. Well, there's your random fact for the day. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks for the random facts Min. I looked it up on google.

I think maybe I have used that "Circular Breathing" technique
without knowing it. As a radio announcer/voiceover guy,
people used to always comment that I could read long things
without obviously and audibly stopping to breathe.
Thinking about it, I probably did that to squeeze 2 minutes
of stuff into 60 seconds.

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

tie me kangaroo down, sport...

Postby EWBrown » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:48 pm

A friend of mine who could play the didgeridoo and actually make music (rather than just make bahtroom noises) with it had the "circular breathing" thing down pat...

My few lame attempts on the home-brew PVC pipe didge sounded more like elephantine flatulence, and my face turned all shades of blue in the process.. I never got the hang of circular breathing, I told him I'd have better results by inhaling air from the "other end" :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09

we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde and that's it hangin'on the shed

As far as being a long-winded radio announcer, I'd heard tell that being able to breathe air in through one's ears was a prerequisite Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby SDS-PAGE » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:27 pm

Yes, Tom. I don't how you guys can talk that long and fast w/o a sip of air. You must have learnt the art of conserving air while you drone or talk as well.

Circular breathing ain't easy concept to swallow. I can get my students to do just about anything on the didge (vocalize, harmonize, intonate etc.), but they seem to struggle when it comes to CB. I use to have them bring a cup of water with a lid on it from a burger joint, and have them make bubbles with stopping. I almost had one guy choke on water to death, so I quit doing that. Instead, I have them bring a balloon and blow into it w/o stopping. This is nice as you get a lot of back pressure.

Circular breathing in a nutshell: blow ---> make an air bag with your cheeks inside your mouth ----> breathe in through your NOSE while using your CHEEK MUSCLES to compress air out through your MOUTH(hopefully not through "other end") --->blow Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05

Ed, PVC didges are cool. Get thinned-walled ones that are used for irrigation about 4.5-5 feet long, 2" diameter. Partially soften parts of the pipe with a heat gun to create kinks and bumps. Heat up one end and shove in with a bulb planter to get make a bell. Slap beeswax on the other end for mouth piece.

Shannon, I believe didges use quater-wave tech to get the bass that can annoy heck out of your neighbors. This is my futile attemp to make this post relevant to audio. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 -Min

http://www.didgeridoostore.com[/url]
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Audio/Music ... it's all good !

Don't swallow any termites, Min ! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby EWBrown » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:08 am

THis same friend had a home made cross between a slide trombone and a didge, made of PVC and a weird funnel as the "bell". He called it a "bazooka", as it kinda looked like one of those WWII vintage antitank grenade launchers.

He could actually make real music on it, my feeble attempts probably sounded more like finback whale mating calls (or perhaps finback whales with severe indigestion) Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02 :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

For a somewhat "different" and completely unconventional approach to circular "breathing" just google "Joseph Pujol" sometime... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby SDS-PAGE » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:09 pm

There is a term for what your friend made, It's called the "slider didge" or the "slideridoo". Click on the "movie theme song" link on the left here: http://www.didgeridoostore.com/didgeridoo_modern2.htm
Can you name that tune? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06

I once sang Happy B'day to a little kid while droning through a didge and he's been getting nightmares about B'days since.

Some didge legends: Stephen Kent, Dave Blonski, Wicked Tinkers, Xavier Rudd, and William Barton. Good people to ask how it's done.

How's the didge is changing the world:
http://www.didgeridoostore.com/didgeridoo_inthenews.htm

Dude, I don't even remember what the original post was all about. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Return to poseidon