Still much work to do...

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Still much work to do...

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:44 pm

This is one of a pair I picked up over the summer. Technically, they worked when I bought them from the previous owner, but reality was showing its ugly head. These things were a basket case. This is going to be a complete strip and rebuild. I'm not going to bother to powder coat the transformer end bells, nor will I have the chassis re-plated. Tubes are new, drivers boards are new, leaky old crap can cap is gone, even the mounting hardware will be replaced.

Here is the before and after photos. Notice the "before" photo shows a running amp. As I said, technically they worked. Notice the "after" photo has no power cord. I haven't finished any of the under chassis wiring, nor have I finished stripping its mate. Wish me luck.

Image Image

edit... I see I mounted the terminal strip wrong. It should be mounted from the outside of the chassis, no? How are people doing the input jack? The fit of the little plastic isolators doesn't give a lot of confidence.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby erichayes » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:10 am

Looks good, so far, Ty. You have my number if you need encouragement (I think you're beyond needing assistance at this point).

Bon chance.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:03 am

I tore down the second Mark III last night. Apparently, there was a fire in there during its previous life. There are scorch marks under the chassis along with a generous quantity of rust.

Any good way to clean this up without paying someone to strip and replate it? I don't need it to be perfect, but if there is something I can do to make it a little better, now is the time...
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:07 am

Anything on the inside of the chassis as nasty as you describe could be cleaned up with a Scotchbrite pad, I think.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to poseidon