Ideal Speaker SPL Rating for Dynaco Mark III Amplifiers

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Ideal Speaker SPL Rating for Dynaco Mark III Amplifiers

Postby hilldweller » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:36 pm

I am getting ready to build some speakers for my pair of Dynaco Mark IIIs. Any suggestions on SPL Ratings. I was thinking of 105db or better. I don't know as much as you all and I appreciate any help I can get!!! I will be using 3/4" M.D.F. for the cabinets. The cabinet space volume will be appropriatly, (possible bad spelling), matched to the drivers chosen. I have seen someone on here running Bozak Concert Grands on a low powereed amp. I wan't to build something that comes close to those concert grands! I am familliar with Parts Express & MCM for driver sources. If there are others, I don't know about them. As always, your help is always appreciated.
P.S.
Please forgive my recent raniting and raving about some of the so called audiophile stuff I have seen on this forum. I had a little too much wine then and I didn't wan't to offend anybody. Thank You!!!! :)
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby erichayes » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:09 pm

105 dB systems are what the 3 watt SE crowd use to make their amplifiers hearable (as opposed to listenable, which is another matter entirely). With the fifty-or-so watts that a MK III can belt out, you could dip down into the mid-80s and still have a speaker system with plenty of loud.

In general, the trade off for efficiency is accuracy--Paul Klipsch's opinions notwithstanding. If your main musical menu leans toward multitracked studio stuff, the accuracy of the speaker becomes less important than if you listen primarily to stereophonically recorded orchestral stuff.

I've used the Eminence Designer software from Parts Express to design cabs for my acoustic instrument amp prototypes, and I (along with some fairly prestigious pickers) was favorably impressed--especially considering my neanderthalic woodworking skills--with the results. I didn't use Eminence drivers, so I had to load the parameters manually. If you use Eminence drivers, all you have to do is plug in the model numbers, how many, how big a box you want, and whether you want it vented or sealed.

As far as rants are concerned, the reason I reside on this audio forum exclusively is because it's the only one I've found that isn't inhabited by audiots and stereophools. Occasionally, one of them will drift over and make a comment or platitude, but they seem to go back into the woodwork when they see that we're not serving wine and cheese here.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby hilldweller » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:05 am

erichayes wrote:105 dB systems are what the 3 watt SE crowd use to make their amplifiers hearable (as opposed to listenable, which is another matter entirely). With the fifty-or-so watts that a MK III can belt out, you could dip down into the mid-80s and still have a speaker system with plenty of loud.

In general, the trade off for efficiency is accuracy--Paul Klipsch's opinions notwithstanding. If your main musical menu leans toward multitracked studio stuff, the accuracy of the speaker becomes less important than if you listen primarily to stereophonically recorded orchestral stuff.

I've used the Eminence Designer software from Parts Express to design cabs for my acoustic instrument amp prototypes, and I (along with some fairly prestigious pickers) was favorably impressed--especially considering my neanderthalic woodworking skills--with the results. I didn't use Eminence drivers, so I had to load the parameters manually. If you use Eminence drivers, all you have to do is plug in the model numbers, how many, how big a box you want, and whether you want it vented or sealed.

As far as rants are concerned, the reason I reside on this audio forum exclusively is because it's the only one I've found that isn't inhabited by audiots and stereophools. Occasionally, one of them will drift over and make a comment or platitude, but they seem to go back into the woodwork when they see that we're not serving wine and cheese here.

Thanks A lot Eric!!! You have been very helpful. Have a great Thanksgiving. :)
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Return to poseidon