Questions about a custom chassis for poseidon.

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Questions about a custom chassis for poseidon.

Postby garyb » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:08 am

Hi, can a poseidon board be mounted on an enclosure like the diy 35? Is it possible to mount all components on the underside of the board and just the tube sockets on the top? I've got two sets of Mark 3 iron that need a home. The 16" x 8" x 2" black Hammond enclosure with Mark 3 iron and kt-90s on top is what I have in mind. Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks
Gary
garyb

Postby EWBrown » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:26 am

Yes, these boards can be mounted in, on, or under the chassis, in any means you want. For under the chassis use, mount the components on the "solder side" and the tube sockets on the top side of the PCBs. The lower profile components, like resistors, can be top-mounted, as well, either way is good. IIRC< the boards are silk screened on both sides, and even the "critical" parts like the LM234Z CCS regulator IC has the correct orientations and lead placements marked on both sides.

Use a blank board as a chassis drilling guide , this nearly guarantees a perfect fit. Just mark the holes to be drilled or punched, the board makes a perfect "stencil" before the components are "stuffed" and soldered.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby garyb » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:16 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. Thought I had read every post on this forum, but I just looked at the photos on Gregt01s' site and indeed poseidon boards on custom chassis has been done.
Thanks
Gary
garyb

Postby JW34 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:38 pm

So, I would like to start marking up my Aluminum Chassis (12" x 12") top plate this weekend and get it punched out next week. But before I do this, I have a couple of questions:

1. I will mount the poseidon board from underneath and want to position it up front and the transformers in back. Considering the input jack will be in back, will the transformers induce noise of any sort into the signal since it has to pass by the transformers to get to the board?

2. Do the transformers have to remain the same distance from eachother as per the Mark III placement or can they be mounted in any arrangement.......further apart, mounted in the same plane, etc....

3. Could the on/off switch be mounted in the front without interfearing with the circuit?

Thanks
JW34

Return to poseidon