Power Transformer

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Power Transformer

Postby Gregt01 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Hi guys I am about 99% finished with my first set of mono blocks, I'll be posting pix soon.
I just wanted to know if it is possable to use one power transformer for both sides (378CX 400-0-400 465mA 6.3v 6A ) or will I open a can of worms? I was thinking of building my next one with the power transformer sep from the valves.

I just bought a pair of Sansui SP-X9900 speakers with seven drivers, 100db 280 watts power handling. They only cost me AU$ 250 but the hand delivery from the other state costs AU$240 (rip offs) Last time I had bought some speakers, DHL used them a foot balls and droped them, the magnets of some of the cones had broken of (unstuck) what a bunch of ass w.....s, so I now have opted to use a other company that transports fragile goods. Do you think these would be ok on the KT's?

Greg
Gregt01

Re: Power Transformer

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:19 am

Gregt01 wrote:Hi guys I am about 99% finished with my first set of mono blocks, I'll be posting pix soon.
I just wanted to know if it is possable to use one power transformer for both sides (378CX 400-0-400 465mA 6.3v 6A ) or will I open a can of worms? I was thinking of building my next one with the power transformer sep from the valves.

Everything is possible. But outboard power supplies make me worry about shocks and ground loops more than stray magnetic fields. What type of power distribution cable were you thinking of and is it rated for those voltages?
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Gregt01 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:33 am

Hi Shannon
I'm not sure, but some type of multistran 5 or 6 core silicone coated each core 2 to 2.5 mm square.
I'm not to sure if I will continue on this idea but I might bite the bullet and build another set as monoblocks.
Thanks for that info.
Shannon have you ever worked on a Knight KB-85?
Due to having 5 EL37's I would like to start that one also, I have orderd a full manual and I'll see what is involved in that project.
They say that they sound fantastic but being down under we are limited in good old amps.

Greg
Gregt01

Return to poseidon