Which tubes?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Which tubes?

Postby DG » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:48 pm

Anyone using new production EL84 tubes with your 35's?
I have a quad of JJ's EL84's lost somwhere in Colorado that may make it here someday. I have a pretty good selection of 12AX7's already on hand. Mostly current production but also some NOS. Also have some NOS 12AU7's and a couple of JJ current production as well. I have a couple of RCA cleartop side getters 12AU7's. I'll try one of those for sure.

But, any experiences with different but current production EL84's? What do you like in your 35?
DG

EL84 tubes

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:00 pm

I don't want to lose any street cred here, but I honestly like the NOS Sovtek 6p14p's that are out there.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Roll 'em all...

Postby EWBrown » Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:20 am

I have a matched quad of Sovtek, and of JJ EL84s, a dozen Reflektor 6P14Ps, some odd NOS 6BQ5s and some SV83s, I'll eventually get around to trying them all. My second board arrived yesterday, plus I ordered the remaining transformers and tube sockets to complete two
amplifiers, and have board components to "stuff" three more in the future.

I'll try the JJs and Sovteks first, then roll in the 6P14Ps (I put 4 in a Fisher
SA-100 I rescued from the town dump, it works great). The SV83s are slated for some SE amps, so they will be the last, if ever.

/ed Brown :twisted:
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Ei Gold Elite

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:44 am

I'm using Ei Gold Elite EL84's, which sound pretty good. I'll give SovTek a try. At $16 for a quad, I don't think I can go wrong.
Martin

Return to stereo 35