Looking for a High End Tube Project - ST-35?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Postby WA4SWJ » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:30 am

Hi dubwicht,

I've built all of Shannon's amps including an ST-35, three eiclones and one ST-70 clone. They all have Triode's Dynaclone transformers in them and they all sound really, really good. Lately, I've been driving my Dynaco A-25 speakers with my ST-35 and I can tell you that amp has plenty of bass and is just wonderful to listen to. The board is easy to build but you'll need to punch holes in some kind of chassis to get it put together.

Triode's transformers are very nice indeed and are of very high quality. They have Teflon insulated leads instead of the older cloth type insulated leads. But the sound is what's important and I mentioned above that they sound great.

Not sure what else I can offer but to say that I don't think you would be disappointed in the ST-35 at all. It is a great amplifier. There are lots of pictures on the site to show you how various folks have built their versions. Some are extremely fine looking. Mine isn't since it was built on a plain aluminum chassis with no fancy woodwork but that doesn't affect the sound.

Good luck with the project! I know you'll enjoy it. I'm sure others here will say the same thing. Oh, and I think somewhere here Shannon has posted some frequency/distortion response data. I also seem to remember that Uncle Ned (Triode Electronics) has some response data for his transformers on his Web site. Needless to say, I'm very happy with the results I'm getting. BTW - no association with either.

With regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby TerrySmith » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:20 am

I have built two, the first with Heathkit transformers and tube rectifier. The second with stock Dyna iron and stock circuit.

The Heath sounds MUCH better in my opinion. Seems to have more bottom end than the Dyna iron. You can find AA-151's cheaper than SCA-35's or ST35's.

The only downside is they are Z mounted, so you have to cut a large hole.

Any way you build this amp, it will sound better than amps costing thousands of $$$$!

Just my $.02, please dont kill me!
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

depends

Postby dhuebert » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:15 am

How I like my ST-35 depends on what music I listen to . For jazz and acoustic it has a sweet warm sound that is a delight. However, due to low power I find it lacks the sharp attack and punch needed by some rock. Fer instance: The Police "Ghost in the Machine" is a very punchy album and the ST-35 is too weak to do a good job. But if I'm listening to bluegrass, jazz quartets, anything acoustic really, wonderful!

Don

PS I am currently building up an eiclone to address the power problem
dhuebert
KT88

Re: Eiclone?

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:15 am

dubwicht wrote:Perhaps the eiclone would be more versitile for a wide range of speakers. I have heard people make reference to the eiclone. I assume that this is an EICO clone? Is a board available for this amplifier? Schematics? I noticed Shannon making reference to it but I do not see anything in the products for sale section.

Hi Dubwicht,

Good observations. The Eiclones have actually gotten me in trouble with the neighbors once. At least I couldn't hear the phone when they called to complain. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

The Eiclones are available $99/pair. If interested, contact me directly.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to stereo 35