New (to me) Dynaco ST35

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

New (to me) Dynaco ST35

Postby coolhandjjl » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:44 pm

I've been lurking here for probably over a year researching push/pulls, SETs, kits from The Triode Store, looking at Tom McNally's and Ed Brown's cool pics of their amps, plus I received so many valuable suggestions from members here. Sadly, I had to come to the conclusion that with where I am in my life, a kit just wasn't in the works for me.

What I did instead was buy a restored Dynaco ST35. Based on research here and other forums, it appeared to have had the right stuff done on it. Glad I did it that way. I'm now up an running enjoying tube audio today. This turned out to be a great way for me to get my feet wet, learn, and perhaps in the future when the kids are gone, I can undertake a kit.

This thing is so cute! (Ya, I know, awkward choice of word, but it seems fitting.) I knew it was small, but didn't realize how small until I opened up the box. Quite a change from the big hulking SAE 2401 power amp I once had. It has brown AudioRegenisis boards, new RCA and binding posts, Dave Gillespie's new EFB board installed on top, but original transformers. The chassis was polished up a bit, but still has a vintage look. I may add input attenuators and paint up the transformers as I plan to display it sans-cage, but as it is, it's fine.

It came with JJ El34's, a Sylvania 12DW7, and a Dynaco branded 12DW7 with a 'Made in Great Britain' stamp on the glass. I did chat with Jim McShane and he suggested going with Genalex reissue EL84's, and JJ 12DW7's.
coolhandjjl

Return to stereo 35