Pots for input attenuators

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Pots for input attenuators

Postby coolhandjjl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:47 pm

I plan to add two input attenuators to a Dynaco ST35. Since the chassis is so slim, I bough two mini Clarostat linear taper 250K pots. To get close to the desired 100K ideal attenuator value, I swamped each with a 250K resistor.

On my meter, the lowest resistance with full clockwise rotation of the pot is 1.5 ohms on one pot, 1.0 on the other. Doesn't look too good. Did I get the wrong type of pots? I was assuming that when I want full signal passing into the the amp, I should be getting close to 0, with both pots having almost the same reading?
coolhandjjl

Re: Pots for input attenuators

Postby battradio » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Well you just have to wire them in correctly and they will be fine , use the wiper to the grid and the terminal that reads 1 ohm to the input connector , and the other terminal to ground . should have bought log pots ( audio taper )
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby coolhandjjl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:13 am

Thanks. I come from the electric guitar world where a log pot in the volume position gives to drastic a volume change with just a slight rotation on the pot. That's why I got linear. Must be different in the hi-fi realm.
coolhandjjl

Postby EWBrown » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:32 pm

The minimum resistance of potentiometers can be from zero up to a few ohms, the minor differences in resistance isn't a problem.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:35 pm

You can "fake" a log pot from a linear one, but you need to hang a resistor from wiper to ground that's 1/10 the pot's resistance. So to get a 100K "log" pot, you'd need a 1Meg linear and a 100K resistor.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to stereo 35