Switch for Linear or Triode mode

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Switch for Linear or Triode mode

Postby coolhandjjl » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:40 am

I'm planing on an ST35 build in the traditional chassis. I've read that some people mod their ST35's by adding switches to the output tubes for Linear or Triode mode. After I get this amp up and going, I was considering adding the EFB Performance Mod. That one is a tight fit in the original chassis.

I'm wondering if both are necessary. How many people feel the Linear-Triode mode switch is useful? From what I've read, the EFB Performance Mod is a winner, so I'm wondering if doing just that mod would make this amp more than suitable for any application.
coolhandjjl

Re: Switch for Linear or Triode mode

Postby Geek » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 am

Unless you are swapping speakers frequently or demo'ing speakers for customers or buddies, I'd find the position that's best for your tastes and leave it there ;)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby coolhandjjl » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:50 am

I'm new to tubes, so I didn't even know about linear vs triode mode. Now I read about SET amps! (???)

Most of my tastes of music are in classic 70's rock, with some modern indie rock, almost no jazz, classical, or opera. Perhaps since I am new, I should start with the basics, and leave it wired as designed, in linear mode.
coolhandjjl

Postby Geek » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Good plan! [:)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to stereo 35