ST35 and heat

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

ST35 and heat

Postby coolhandjjl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:50 am

I am planing on a ST35 kit build with no cage/cover. Gotta see the tubes! The creative designs I see here are second to none! Can the amp be placed into a open backed cabinet or shelf with a few inches of clearance over the top, or does it need to be on the top of the cabinet?
coolhandjjl

Re: ST35 and heat

Postby 20to20 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:24 pm

coolhandjjl wrote:I am planing on a ST35 kit build with no cage/cover. Gotta see the tubes! The creative designs I see here are second to none! Can the amp be placed into a open backed cabinet or shelf with a few inches of clearance over the top, or does it need to be on the top of the cabinet?

The tops of the tubes get hot enough to bake cookies, so your cabinet is what you really want to protect.
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby coolhandjjl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Did those old cages have some sort of ceramic wool or asbestos lining under the top?

Maybe on the top of the cabinet is best then. I could see it better there as well.
coolhandjjl

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 pm

The old amps were stuffed in cabinets AND a steel chassis AND many times a wood covering slapped on top of that. It was a real tube killer and cap melter. I think if the cabinet has plenty of airspace, you'll be fine.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Geek » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 pm

separks wrote:It was a real tube killer and cap melter.

Yep!

Take an I.R. thermometer to the insides of one that's been running for a couple hours =:o
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby rmyauck » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 am

Maybe add a couple of 12V computer case fans blowing out , running on a 6V wall wart for quiet running. Try reflective insulated foil over the tubes if possible.
If you can put it on top as you mentioned will let the heat out best. Fans should help the tubes and caps last anyway also.

Randy
rmyauck

Postby coolhandjjl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks for the great suggestions. (y)
coolhandjjl

Postby nyazzip » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 am

i put a 12v computer fan(and run it at 3-4v) plus aluminum heat sink on top of my power transformer, and it went from "untouchable" to about 110F. i used it in a cabinet with a closed back/ open front for awhile this summer and it was still fine...just a PITA reaching in there over hot tubes and groping in the dark for the power switch.
depending on the way you hook up the fan, you can have it suck heat off of the amp, or wash air over it....either way, cooler transformer=cooler PCB and stuffings
nyazzip
KT88

Postby coolhandjjl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:57 pm

nyazzip wrote:i put a 12v computer fan(and run it at 3-4v) plus aluminum heat sink on top of my power transformer, and it went from "untouchable" to about 110F. i used it in a cabinet with a closed back/ open front for awhile this summer and it was still fine...just a PITA reaching in there over hot tubes and groping in the dark for the power switch.
depending on the way you hook up the fan, you can have it suck heat off of the amp, or wash air over it....either way, cooler transformer=cooler PCB and stuffings

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
coolhandjjl

Return to stereo 35