Electrolytic Capacitor (Rev. C)

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Electrolytic Capacitor (Rev. C)

Postby RustyB1942 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:00 pm

Hello,

I have been using my Rev C with great experiences for the past couple of months. However, I recently opened the case to check the bias and noticed that the safety top of C9 (120uF 450V) is bulged out. I know this is a sign of imminent failure/explosion and I am about to place an order for replacements for all 4 power supply capacitors. My question is, could this be a fluke capacitor, or is there something more sinister at work here. I have noticed that the line voltage in my building is around 120-121 VAC, and I am wondering if perhaps this is causing a greater in rush to the capacitors? Should I go to the next higher voltage rating?

Thanks,

Rusty
RustyB1942

Re: Electrolytic Capacitor (Rev. C)

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:51 am

RustyB1942 wrote:Hello,

I have been using my Rev C with great experiences for the past couple of months. However, I recently opened the case to check the bias and noticed that the safety top of C9 (120uF 450V) is bulged out. I know this is a sign of imminent failure/explosion and I am about to place an order for replacements for all 4 power supply capacitors. My question is, could this be a fluke capacitor, or is there something more sinister at work here. I have noticed that the line voltage in my building is around 120-121 VAC, and I am wondering if perhaps this is causing a greater in rush to the capacitors? Should I go to the next higher voltage rating?

Thanks,

Rusty

Hi Rusty,

I've seen this 'bulging' on these capacitors when new and unused. They are fine.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to stereo 35