ST-35 and Quad 44?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

ST-35 and Quad 44?

Postby grendel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:48 am

I recently bought a perfect refurbished Quad 44 pre amplifier. Since I really have fallen in love with my ST-35 (also perfectly refurbished) I was wondering if I could hook the two up together without having to worry about damaging my ST-35. This might be a noob question, but everyone has to start somewhere in the magical tubeworld. I would also like to have your thoughts on this combo.

Thanx in advance.
grendel

Re: ST-35 and Quad 44?

Postby 20to20 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:20 pm

grendel wrote:I recently bought a perfect refurbished Quad 44 pre amplifier. Since I really have fallen in love with my ST-35 (also perfectly refurbished) I was wondering if I could hook the two up together without having to worry about damaging my ST-35. This might be a noob question, but everyone has to start somewhere in the magical tubeworld. I would also like to have your thoughts on this combo.

Thanx in advance.

I think one of the biggest thrills we all must suffer in this hobby is the flame test.

Good luck.
Last edited by 20to20 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Worst case scenario is you have a preamp with a DC offset present at the outputs, and a power amp without any blocking caps on its inputs. The offset might screw up the bias on the first VA stage of the power amp.

Looking at the schematic for the Stereo 35, you will see capacitor C1 just upstream of the 7247 tube. I'm pretty sure you'll be perfectly safe.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to stereo 35