Single source input - Squeezebox to ST-35

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Single source input - Squeezebox to ST-35

Postby SpyderMike » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:08 pm

I am building a very simple system. I use a Squeezebox Touch and I would like to connect direct to my soon to be modded original ST-35. I am looking to be able to leave the Touch "volume" on high for best digital quality. I need to vary the analog out from the Touch (input to the ST-35). Are theer any simple solutions? I think the Touch RCA outputs are max 2V out and the Touch headphone out is just under 1V out.

I am trying to avoid a preamp just for this sigle saource...unless it is a very small box (i.e., Not a PAS unit)

I am new to this electronics/audio hobby and am learning alot, so I would appreciate your answer taking that into consideration!

Thanks,
Mike
SpyderMike

Postby SpyderMike » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 pm

would a simple audio log attenuator work? On the 2 volt out or the headphone out?
SpyderMike

Postby corndog71 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:14 pm

http://amzn.com/B0049MOK92

I just got one of these and it works well. Although I've read that the ST35 really needs a preamp to drive it properly.
corndog71

Postby Thermion » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:57 am

I am looking to be able to leave the Touch "volume" on high for best digital quality.

The Touch volume won't affect digital quality. That is pre-determined by your file format, sampling rate, etc. It will affect the analog output on the Touch. If you run your Touch volume at max, you greatly increase the potential to overdrive your analog output generating high distortion. Especially with modern compressed digital sources and streaming audio.

Since your Squeezebox Touch has a line level audio out, I would recommend simply connecting to your ST-35 and using your Touch volume.

You definitely want to use the RCA line level outputs and not the headphone jack to the ST35. Using the headphone Jack will have lower output and potential impedance mismatches.

Let us know how it sounds when you get the ST35.

JT
Thermion

Postby Thermion » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:02 am

BTW, that Squeezebox Touch looks like a sweet little unit. I may get one to use with my Clementine at work.

JT
Thermion

Postby SpyderMike » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Acutally, the Touch has a digital Volume control that results in data loss at reduced levels on their "volume" setting. It is recommended to keep the volume setting at 100% and adjust teh line level out.

I am FLAC-ing my collection - slowly. I have some 50,000+ songs on a drive right now and this Touch makes accessing that soooo easy.
SpyderMike

Postby SpyderMike » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:11 pm

I found a good wiki covering this subject:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/ConnectToPowerAmp
SpyderMike

Postby Thermion » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:06 pm

SpyderMike,

Your first post says that you are new to the electronics/audio hobby, so don't take this as criticism, but I think you are confusing two different issues. I am only trying to help.

First, the wiki you posted is discussing whether your analog output will result in max power or not and does not discuss digital resolution. If you look at previous posts on the ST35, you will find that an input of 1v rms will result in clipping. Therefore you can drive your modded ST35 to clipping with the Squeezebox Touch with no problem.

Second, if you read the first reference in your wiki post, you will find that the Squeezebox Touch uses a 24 bit DAC. Unless your digital library is composed of mainly SACD or HDCD, then your digital files are at 16 bit resolution. Therefore, you would not sacrifice any digital resolution unless you turn your volume down to nearly inaudible levels.

My advice would be to plug the Squeezebox directly to the ST35. If you like the way it sounds then sit back and relax. If not, look for solutions.

JT
Thermion

Postby Thermion » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:47 pm

SpyderMike,

I was reading back through the Wiki Post and found the section related to digital resolution. I doesn't change my advice that it is not a problem in your case. RightMark's measurements show that your noise will reduce from -97.8 to -77.3 db between 100% and 50% on the Touch volume. Neither one is audible 99% of the time. It also shows that the dynamic range will reduce from 97.7 to 75.8 db, again inaudible.

JT
Thermion

Postby SpyderMike » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:52 pm

I am new to this hobby and learning Thermion. I appreciate the help. I will give it a whirl!
SpyderMike

Return to stereo 35