Any potential problems with using can caps with DIYTube PCB?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Any potential problems with using can caps with DIYTube PCB?

Postby DerekVa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Specifically, I'm tired of dealing with noise on my custom P2P ST35 amp and am thinking about buying a DIYTube ST35 board (I'll wait until the promised Rev.EFB board Shannon's got up his sleeve) and rebuilding from scratch. One thing I'd prefer to keep is the pair of 100/100uF 500V Elna Cerefine can caps that are currently being used as I think any PC-mount electrolytic would be a significant step down in quality. Are there any issues that might result from using the Elnas with jumper wires to the boards that I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance!

-D
DerekVa

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:13 am

No problem at all.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 am

I second Shannon's reply, and add, that with the electrolytics mounted off the PCB, that allows for having a shallower chassis depth.

Most of my "dumpster" chassis I use, have an internal depth of only 1.4 to 1.5 inches, and with the standard PC board mounted caps, I can't use these chassis, unless I top-mount the caps on the PC boards, and punch holes in the chassis to allow them to poke up through the top.

Which is a significant amount of extra manual labor, and careful calculations and measurement, and demands fairly close tolerances. In other words, it can be quite the pain in the butt... :'( :(

/ed
Last edited by EWBrown on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby DerekVa » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks, guys!

-D
DerekVa

Return to stereo 35