ebay st-35 platform...?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

ebay st-35 platform...?

Postby nyazzip » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:01 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/VACUUM-TUBE-STEREO- ... 27bc8cac72

saw this link for a 4xel84 amp....80 bucks not so bad for all the tubes and iron you'd need for an st-35 type amp, IF it all works
;)

NO affiliation here, just passing it on, maybe the guy would take $50
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:07 pm

It should probably sell for somewhere between $200 ~ $250. I'm generally a skeptical kind of guy, so I assume the seller cut the cord himself so he could disavow any responsibility of "testing". Maybe it has a burned out transformer or three.

Still, it might be a nice lot of iron and glass. Good luck to all involved.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Quad » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Definitely sounds fishy - "The previous owner cut the
cords for the copper".
Maybe he didn't realize there is more copper in the
iron (trannys) ! :-)
Quad
KT88

Postby Geek » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Cutting the cord is also a technician's way of showing the unit is dead - parts only.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:30 pm

I have cut the power cords off dead VCRs and other consumer grade junk, at least the cords are still usable for another project ;) Even at today's current copper price of nearly $4.50 perr pound, a cord's copper content would be worth only a few cents...

BTW, pre-1982 (and early 1982) copper pennies are real copper, the easy way to tell if they are copper or plated zinc, is the weight, the real ones weigh in at 3.11 grams, the zinkies are 2.50 grams each. At $4.50 per pound of copper, the copper pennies are worth three cents each, so they are well worth the effort to pick out of your change jar. O:)

The amp chassis might make for a good basis for an ST35 or PPP "36 watter" guitar amp, but at almost $114 including the shipping, that' still kinda pricey, even for a pre-punched chassis, especially when there is no guarantee that the trannies are any good, or if they are burnt out... A few years ago I bought a very similar-looking Knight 928 integrated PP 6BQ5 amp, from the early 60s. (see below)

The OPTs would be mid-grade quality at best, definitely not manufactured to Z565 or even Hammond specs. OK for a "garage" amp, but kinda dull and shallow- sounding, for more serious audio.

A few years ago, I picked up a early 1960s' vintage Knight 928 integreated amp at a hamfest in NH, it sounded OK, but not great, it was woefully short of sounding even close to an SCA-35 in side by each comparison.. (sick)

Interestingly, the power cord had also been cut off, and then replaced rather sloppily (no strain relief, and the connections under the chassis were made with wire nuts) , but then that may have been because the insulation on the original power cord had simply dried out and cracked.

As far as I could tell, it was US manufactured and not Japanese, the vintage era was still a bit too early for that... (???) The wooden case for it for it may not be the original, the inner surface of both sides of the wood had been filed or sanded down, in order to fit the chassis which is about 1/4 inch too wide :/

It's going to someday become a "36 watter" PPP guitar amp, or two-channel "18 watter" . [:) or just an organ donor. At least all the tubes are still good, and it didn't emit any smoke, weird aromas, or flames during my testing :| But before delving into that any further, I'll get done with modding the Knight 6L6 SE PA amp, into another Champzilla / Uglytron, first...

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby nyazzip » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:25 pm

i think people automatically cut off the ungrounded 2 prong cords to force the next owner to address the issue. i have bought several items sans cords that ended up fine
true though, this guy could be absolving himself of responsibility by cutting off the cord of a known non-functional unit and claiming "he had no way of testing it"
but there are lots of clueless(and yes i'm calling the kettle black for sure) people selling old gear
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:It should probably sell for somewhere between $200 ~ $250.

Well, I was pretty close...

eBay wrote:Winning bid: US $198.09
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to stereo 35