TAD-EL84-STR experience?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

TAD-EL84-STR experience?

Postby Norris » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I got a recomendaton by a fellow audioholic to use the Tube Amp Doctor EL84-STR in my Dyna ST-35 clone, they are made in China.
But this person has not gotten his tubes yet, so has not used them.

I need some feedback from anyone who has had some real world experience using these tubes?

Included is a link to TAD's website, any feed back will be helpful.

http://tubeampdoctor.shop-in-worms.net/ ... cts_id=826

I was told that Mojo Music Supply offers a matched quad of these
TAD-EL84-STR tubes for $36, but have not confirmed that price.

Thanks

Norris Wilson

PS. I have no affiliation with either of these companies, just looking for good products at reasonable prices, some NOS prices are nuts.
Norris

Re: TAD-EL84-STR experience?

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:32 pm

Norris,

I'm not sure what to make of these tubes. They certainly are the 6pi14pi tubes I enjoy, but supposedly modified. I wonder if people are sawing open these Russian tubes, sprinkling pixie dust and then re-vacuuming them?

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Pixie dust with a straw!

Postby Norris » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:57 pm

Hi Shanon,
I got an answer from a price request for a quad of the TAD-EL-84-STR from mojo music supply today at $25 a matched pair.
I have 4 of the Sovtek EL84M from around 15 years back when they were first introduced into the united States, but they are not matched.
I think that the EL84M is the same tube as the 6pi14pi that you have described in your post, or am I wrong, please advise?.
I really did not want to buy another set of these tubes, I will try something different.
I wanted to go with a matched set of tubes for the Dyna ST-35 clone, but cannot afford $120 for two matched pairs of GE oval plate EL84/6BQ5's right now .
So, I guess I will go ahead and use the new Electro Harmonics EL84 at $38 for a matched quad, that will not break the bank.
Thanks
Norris Wilson
Norris

Postby DortoH » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:04 pm

WIth the individual bias control matched tubes are not necessary.

Save your money :)
DortoH

Cheaper by the dozen (+4)

Postby EWBrown » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:08 am

I haev been getting the Russian 6P14P and 6P14P-EBs from ANthonyWelsh and kwtubes on E-bay, these go for between $2 and 3 each in batches of 16 (plus $12 shipping) and have had excellent results with both sellers. Delivery time from Ukraine (or Lithuania) is about 17-21 days.

I do my own matching, and out of a g roup of 16, I usually get at least one matched quad, a "close" quad and a few matched pairs.

The 6P14P-EBs are of heavier construction, more rugged and "mil-spec" but unless you plan to run your DIY-35 in a HuimVee while off-roading, the -EBs aren't really necessary.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Sovtek EL84M?

Postby Norris » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:06 am

Hi Ed,

I have four of the early Sovtek El84M tubes that have Sovtek R printed on them and a 22 pressed in the botttom of the tube glass, what do I have?

I looked at Anthony Welsh's auction at the EL84M-EV, 6p14p tubes he is offering and they have a 14 pressed in the bottom.

I was under the impression that the Sovtek EL84M is one in the same as the 6p14p, could the 22 stand for the EB tube, or?

I would like to know what I have at present since I do not want any more of the same, or do I?

Thanks

Norris
Norris

Postby EWBrown » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:25 am

The 14 or 22 is just a glass mold number, so it doesn't have any real meaning.

The EL84M should be the same as the 6P14P-EB and it is significantly heavier than a "normal" EL-84.

Look for teh original Russian marking, the P's look like a "PI" and the lettter B is their version of "V". If it has the -EB it is the heavy duty tube.

Also look for "OTK" inside a "diamond" outline.

/ed
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to stereo 35