My first tube amp build.

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

Postby TomMcNally » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:15 am

I've built three of them ... (including their very first one) no issues with spacing, although to be honest I don't recall which spacers I used.
Actually the picture on the Triode web site and eBay listing is one of mine.

ImageImageImage

and two Soundtasticks ...

ImageImage
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby SVinzant » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:19 am

Ty:
Your right, I did pay good money, so, it should fit. I will shoot them an e-mail and let me know that the caps are a bit to tall to build the project properly. Also, thanks for the HU on the Adcom. I will probably do some more research on kits / schematics and build something to suit.

Shannon:
It's a Rev. D board. I bought the complete kit from Triode, so, I did not buy my parts at Mouser. I will try to measure / figure out what caps I have installed.

DeathRex and Terry:
Thanks for the info on the various caps. I will need to do a bit of measuring on the board and looking around on the Mouser website for a shorter cap.
This will probably be my best solution at this point.

Ed:
Thanks for HU on the bowed chassis, I will get a straight edge on it and have a look-see. Although, I don't think it is bowed. I do like you six stick on feet idea.
I have an idea or two that I will explore when I get home tonight (damn job gets in the way of everything...)
;)

And if I replace the caps, I will then have started collecting parts for my next build!

Thanks again everybody for the help and suggestions!

Scott
SVinzant

Postby TomMcNally » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:26 am

Other ST-35s ...

ImageImageImage
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby SVinzant » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:40 am

TomMcNally wrote:I've built three of them ... (including their very first one) no issues with spacing, although to be honest I don't recall which spacers I used.

Tom,
Did you get the complete kit from Triode, or just the chassis?
Also, do you know what the part number is for the filter caps you used?

Thanks...
Scott
SVinzant

Postby TomMcNally » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:43 am

This is what Shannon specifies from Mouser: 5985-380-450V121 they
are $ 3.57 each today.

I built all of mine with the Mouser BOM found in the first message
of the ST-35 forum here, and just bought chassis from Triode.

Will your fit with shorter spacers?
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby SVinzant » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:45 pm

TomMcNally wrote:Will your fit with shorter spacers?

Tom, I currently have .75" long 6-32 screws for mounting the PCB. On the underside of the top chassis I have a split lock washer and nut to keep the screw in place. I may try loosening up the nuts a bit and see if I can get some "slop" in the alignment and have the tube sockets pop up thru the top of the chassis a bit more. Currently, they are "underhung" an not protruding above the top plate.
I will play with it a bit tonight and see where I get.

Thanks again!
Scott
SVinzant

Much better!

Postby SVinzant » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:59 am

I was able to redo my mounting screws a bit to get the tube sockets to pop up through the top plate a bit. This allowed me to put the bottom plate on properly. Everything looks and sounds GREAT! Currently, I am feeding the output of a Sonos ZonePlayer into my amp. Once I get a few more house projects out of the way, I will look into a linestage or a comercial preamp to feed my amp with.

Cheers!
Scott
SVinzant

Postby nyazzip » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:18 pm

here's my elegant level-control solution, for CD/tuner sources. just a stereo potentiometer wired to a stereo in/out RCA panel from radio shack, and grounded to the amp chassis with a clip(why this was necessary i do not know, trial and error led me to it)

also, i bought the complete kit from triode circa 2007, and i (really) didn't know a capacitor from a resistor. everything fit fine.
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Quad » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:08 am

nyazzip wrote: just a stereo potentiometer wired to a stereo in/out RCA panel from radio shack, and grounded to the amp chassis with a clip(why this was necessary i do not know, trial and error led me to it)

Is it lifted from the ground, or just floating? :-)
Quad
KT88

Postby 20to20 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:50 am

nyazzip wrote:here's my elegant level-control solution, for CD/tuner sources. just a stereo potentiometer wired to a stereo in/out RCA panel from radio shack, and grounded to the amp chassis with a clip(why this was necessary i do not know, trial and error led me to it)

also, i bought the complete kit from triode circa 2007, and i (really) didn't know a capacitor from a resistor. everything fit fine.

A small, modern, 2-4 channel DJ mixer works wonderfully as a preamp. You'll usually get phono input with it, multiple line inputs to select, tone controls, used @$50. New less than $100.
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Previous

Return to stereo 35