tube socket?

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

tube socket?

Postby cedricb » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi,

Just wondering before soldering the tube sockets on the PCB. Are there any special technique to align/parallel against the PCB ?

At the moment I'm resting the PCB on top of the 4 EL84 sockets (flat on the table). I haven't put the two middle tube sockets under the PCB, I'm planning to solder them after.

...ok to solder? (???)
cedricb

Postby Ty_Bower » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Solder down just one or two pins, then check for alignment. You'll probably still be able to twist the socket into alignment if needed. Then solder all the remaining pins. Be careful not to let solder wick into the pin area, or you won't be able to insert the tube!

It has also been suggested that you check alignment against the holes in the chassis. Do you already have your chassis punched and drilled?
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby TerrySmith » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:34 pm

I use a "plinker" inserted in a socket while it's being soldered, that keeps the pins aligned. Solder two opposite pins, check alignment, then solder the rest.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby cedricb » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:11 am

Thanks for the advices!

I've spirit level my table and the PCB... (lol)
cedricb

Postby EWBrown » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:14 pm

My method is just a variation of the first suggestion. I insert the sockets, place the board face down, and then very lightly "tack solder" pins 1, 5 and 9, just enough to hold them without permanently commiting them to a fixed positioning. Sometimes it's easiest to do the EL84 sockets first, then the two inner sockets, so you don't have to juggle six sockets, which wil ALWAYS result in a lot of frustation and utteing some choice "colorful metaphors" in the process >:o O:)

If you have already punched out the holes for the tube sockets, temporarily mount the board into the chassis, then look at the top. If any of the sockets need re-centering, they can easily be shifted around to "dead center", once you have accomplished this, then fully solder all of the pins.

I'll "second" the idea using some "plinker" junk 9 pinners in the sockets to prevent the solder from flowing into the contacts (been there, done that)... :'(

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to stereo 35